Question 1 cable or 2 cables for 2x8 pins gpu? and power draining noise?

Razvan_aga

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017
Hello, i finally managed to buy myself a decent rig, but i have a question.

Should i insert one cable 2x6+2 or two cables 1x6+2 1x6+2 for each 8 pin?

Psu: Asus Rog Strix 80+gold, 750w
Gpu: Asus dual 6750xt
MB: AsRock b550 riptide
CPU: Ryzen 5600
Ram: 16gb ddr4

And another thing, when i play rdr2 there is like a power draining sound coming from the inside of my pc (idk if this is normal) (in the menu/pause screen the sound goes away), on low or ultra , doesn't matter, while in dota2 there is no such sound. Haven't had the time to test other games yet.
Used furmark for stress test for 5 min, everything was ok.

Temp doesn't go higher than 65 C in games/furmark.

Is that the Psu that is being used to power everything? Or is that the Gpu sucking a lot of power?

Should i be alarmed?

Thanks in advance.

For two 8 pin connections use two cables.
The reason is that the full power draw of 300w on one cable may overload the cable.
Why, then do psu makers have the option?
It is to allow a 8+6 or 6+6 connection which is ok.
If I am not mistaken, to avoid this issue, Seasonic now only uses one 6+2 connector per cable and is providing for more cables.

Its best to use 2 separate cables. With my 3080ti, it has 3x 8 pins on it, I used 2 cables, and ran another 8 pin pig tail off of one of the cables, unlikely it'd ever be a problem, but if you can avoid use 1 cable for 2x 8 pins or even 2x 6 pins, I would, smoother an more reliable power as well.

Good Luck!

Razvan_aga

Honorable
Jul 3, 2017
Thanks everyone, i have replace with 2 cables from psu.

And i found out that the sound i heard was coil whine from my gpu, which i understand is not harmfull or anything to my gpu, it should go away,

Thanks everyone, i have replace with 2 cables from psu.

And i found out that the sound i heard was coil whine from my gpu, which i understand is not harmfull or anything to my gpu, it should go away,
Yeah, coil whine is actually pretty normal, some cards are built with components that don't make noise or makes less noise, Definity will not hurt anything, although a little annoying in some situations.