1 CDROM + 1 DVD/RW + one sound connector?

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
i have a creative x52 cdrom that i want to use as the first logical drive (lots of games have trouble running otherwise, and thats what ill be using most anyway), and i just got a Ricoh CDRW today. ok so id put the CDROM as secondary master and Ricoh as secondary slave, BUT, theres only one connector on the sound card (well actually mobo) for the sound cable, and the Ricoh also plays DVD! any way to connect both, or does the DVD not use the sound cable anyway?? (I didnt get a manual for either)

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I feel your pain. I don't know the answer, but maybe a y-cable would work? Dunno if anyone makes it, but it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate. The only downside I can think of is if you tried to use both drives at once at garbled the sound.

Keep in mind I'm just guessing;-)

Unngahhh! Fire good-blue screen bad

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
hmmm i take it thats a cable that has two ends on one uh, end. didnt think of that, though i think youre right and there wont be one, im not into DIY electronics :(

seems a bit odd, i would have thought this problem would occur quite a lot, loads of ppl have at least a CDROM and CDRW... maybe there was something in the manual or another cable, my box was missing stuff like manual (got £40 off though so no complaints yet).

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
from what I gather you have onboard sound I have a SB live value and it has 2 sockets for cd sound so I'm hooked up to it on burner and reader no problem

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>I'm a NASTY Intel\AMD\Nvidia\ATI user and I'm just gonna TAKE that d@mn cookie</b> </font color=blue>

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
yep its an onboard SB128 on the GA-7VTXH, theres only one CD-IN socket :(

"i dont know what you're listening to me for, havent you figured out i dont actually know anything?"

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I've read that it isn't good for your CD-RW to be used also to listen to CDs. It should just be used for writing, or in your case, playing DVDs. If you do this, it'll shorten the life span of your DVD/CDRW drive. So, just use that audio cable for the Creative CD-ROM 52x drive.

Sound fair?

Please go to <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin/" target="_new">My Website</A>. I need help

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
thanks for the info and sympathy :)

i guess im not too fussed about CD audio coming from the CDRW,
the only question im still hoping for an answer on is:
does the DVD [especially films] not use the sound cable anyway??

thanks

The more I know the more I know I don't know

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I don't think the DVD player uses the sound cable...just for audio CDs (unless you enable digital audio for your CD drive). If it doesn't, the stick it in.

Please go to <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin/" target="_new">My Website</A>. I need help

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I've read that it isn't good for your CD-RW to be used also to listen to CDs. It should just be used for writing, or in your case, playing DVDs. If you do this, it'll shorten the life span of your DVD/CDRW drive.
lol, and it isn't good to turn on your computer because it'll shorten your processor's life span!! Don't touch that computer! Leave it off all the time!!! Ohh, come on, seriously, who's going to keep a CD-RW drive for that long anyway. Optical drives last years! By the time they wear out, they'll be useless anyway.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Maybe, but still. If you have another CD-ROM drive, wouldn't it be better to use it instead? I mean, c'mon...if you have a fast CD-Writer, and it burns fast enough for you, do you want it to wear out even though there will probably be a faster one every 3 months? Who's to know how long something will truly last. In Dave's case, he has another way to listen to CDs, so he should take that instead. If you have a single CD-Rom device (in my case, my one CD-RW), then I just rather suggest using it for CD-Writing and reading, and not for listening to music CDs. That's what my mp3s are for.

Problem solved. Please check out <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin/" target="_new">My Website</A>.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
True, but my point was even if he used the CD-RW for reading, by the time it wears out, CDs will be legacy technology and DVD burners will be the new trend.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I'm aware that CDs might possibly be legacy fairly soon. But, not everyone can keep up with the latest technology. So, my point was to be safe with it. Anyways, we could keep this going for awhile, so I'm not gonna go much further with it. I haven't even looked into the technical specs of how long a CDRW should last with the extensive use of listening to music CDs vs. w/o listening to music CDs. So, that's all from me. :smile:

Problem solved. Please check out <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin/" target="_new">My Website</A>.

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
[edit: oh for F~~~S SAKE i wrote a big answer, as usual pasting from notepad, but accidentally only copied half of it. and didnt save. grrrr]

a big deal but a point worth making as theres potential for a little durability increase at zero cost or effort.

When it comes to a situation like mine when its a case of having to choose CDAudio for one OR the other drive, more or less pernamently, then the minor issue becomes more significant as whilst "optical drives last years", i will be making little change to my comp for years :). i'm certainly not buying a new CDRW just because it takes 5 mins less to burn. Well not unless i get a really good job hehe

"by the time they wear out theyll be useless anyway" - er, this here comp is a P200mmx with 48mb of RAM. for internet purposes it is more than adequate. for essay wordprocessing, just dandy. for a gaming machine, er, runs quake 1?? LOL

i realise ive sorta shat (er, whats the american term, "dissed" or something) on your post a little, i do realise youre point is actually a very good one for the majority of hardware enthusiasts reading forums like these :)

Damn, turn the page and someones already made the same point in better and quicker way. bloody typical ;)

The more I know the more I know I don't know<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DaveGOD on 11/25/01 12:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
What the...were you complimenting me or something, and ticked off that I posted quicker than you??? :lol:

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
nah i'd only seen the first page and wrote the reply on notepad as per ususal... happened to see yours underneath as i was pasting into the text box thingy :) british humour or something possibly.

The more I know the more I know I don't know