1 computer member of 2 Domains

Is it possible to make 1 computer a memeber of two different domains, so that
when you log on you can chose between domain1 or domain2. If there is a way
could some one point me to how, or a website that could help. Thanks
Stacie

You can't make a computer a member of two domains. However, if the domain
that the computer is a member of trusts other domains, you can also logon to
the workstation using an account from the trusted domains.

In this instance, the winlogon dialog will be populated by all trusted
domains.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"Stacie Espinosa" <StacieEspinosa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B110B6A6-5C56-4012-91F6-950BFA2264DC@microsoft.com...
> Is it possible to make 1 computer a memeber of two different domains,

No, that is not possible, but...

> ...so that
> when you log on you can chose between domain1 or domain2. If there is a
way
> could some one point me to how, or a website that could help. Thanks

A trust is designed to do what you wish.

A trust FROM the computer domain to the
domain of the user is required.

To add, a Win machine can be used to log in to other AD domains that have
trusts established between them (within same forest or external domains).

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

"Stacie Espinosa" wrote:

> Is it possible to make 1 computer a memeber of two different domains, so that
> when you log on you can chose between domain1 or domain2. If there is a way
> could some one point me to how, or a website that could help. Thanks
> Stacie

Did I write it the wrong way round again? [blush]

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Did I write it the wrong way round again? [blush]

I don't think so -- I responded separately to him,
not as a correctly to your post.

Ah, fair enough. Thought I'd muddled up the trusted and trusting stuff
(again) ;-)

Have a nice weekend!!

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

Ok so now I am trying to set up a trust between 2 domains with windows 2000
server on them but i keep getting the message, trust not established, not
sure exact wording but could get does anyone know of any articles that would
show me how to set trust up between 2 windows 2000 servers, i found one for
trust between 2000 server and win nt server would this work the same? Please
help thanks
Stacie

message news:6738ECD8-1D8A-4EBF-AA75-1200B5F1A135@microsoft.com...
> Ok so now I am trying to set up a trust between 2 domains with windows
2000
> server on them but i keep getting the message, trust not established, not
> sure exact wording but could get does anyone know of any articles that
would
> show me how to set trust up between 2 windows 2000 servers, i found one
for
> trust between 2000 server and win nt server would this work the same?
Please
> help thanks

The exact wording may be necessary.

External trusts (domain from different forests)
require NetBIOS name resolution, and trusts
within the same forest are usually unnecessary
(except for shortcut trusts.)

NetBIOS resolution virtually requires WINS
server if you have routers internal to your network
(or WANS) -- i.e., multiple subnets.

ALL machines must be WINS clients if you use
WINS server.

--
Herb Martin

> Stacie
>
> "Desmond Lee" wrote:
>
> > To add, a Win machine can be used to log in to other AD domains that
have
> > trusts established between them (within same forest or external
domains).

> > Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!
> >

> > "Stacie Espinosa" wrote:
> >
> > > Is it possible to make 1 computer a memeber of two different domains,
so that
> > > when you log on you can chose between domain1 or domain2. If there is
a way
> > > could some one point me to how, or a website that could help. Thanks
> > > Stacie

Ok I have the exact wording,

The servertest domain cannot be contacted If this domain is a Windows
domain, the trust cannot be set up until thedomain is contacted. Click Cancel
and try again later.
If this is an interoperable non-windows kerberos realm and you want to set
up this side of the trust click ok.

It does this on both sides of the domain so I'm not sure what to do I must
have something wrong thanks for helping.
Stacie

message news:271C766E-9F8B-4A2A-8698-71209DF27176@microsoft.com...
> Ok I have the exact wording,
>
> The servertest domain cannot be contacted If this domain is a Windows
> domain, the trust cannot be set up until thedomain is contacted. Click
Cancel
> and try again later.

> If this is an interoperable non-windows kerberos realm and you want to set
> up this side of the trust click ok.

Exact? <grin>

Ok, but at this point you should have checked the
WINS stuff I gave your ealier and tell us about those
settings.

> It does this on both sides of the domain so I'm not sure what to do I must
> have something wrong thanks for helping.

WINS likely.

I will repeat the NetBIOS and WINS server info: