njlji

Prominent
May 23, 2022
unknown.png

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Full system specs?

When was this built, IE like did you just upgrade and not do a clean OS install, or was working fine and suddenly a core just quit?
Have you disassembled, cleaned, changed hardware configuration leading up to this occurance?
Storms or power surges?
New downloads or software installs?

njlji

Prominent
May 23, 2022
Full system specs?

When was this built, IE like did you just upgrade and not do a clean OS install, or was working fine and suddenly a core just quit?
Have you disassembled, cleaned, changed hardware configuration leading up to this occurance?
Storms or power surges?
New downloads or software installs?
msi a320 a pro
ryzen 3 3100
16gb 3000mhz
gigabyte rx 570 4gb

built around last year may?
there were power surges recently but my brothers pc was un-affected
no new downloads and software that i can think of.

so im guessing the power surges is what damaged the cpu?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
msi a320 a pro
ryzen 3 3100
16gb 3000mhz
gigabyte rx 570 4gb

built around last year may?
there were power surges recently but my brothers pc was un-affected
no new downloads and software that i can think of.

so im guessing the power surges is what damaged the cpu?

I think before I called it a day I would consider reseting the CMOS first. IF that didn't work might consider fresh OS install and clean download of chipset drivers. Also, check the "CPU power" plug(s) generally on the upper left of the CPU on motherboard to be sure they are tight and fully inserted on every pin.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

njlji

Prominent
May 23, 2022
unknown.png

Can you run a benchmark? Simply running a game that doesn't use multiple cores particularly well is a poor way to evaluate how your cores are functioning.
ran bench using cpu-z, it did go up but does it affect games? cause in most games/applications that core still doesnt go up compared to my other friends where all their cores are working even with just discord.

njlji

Prominent
May 23, 2022
I think before I called it a day I would consider reseting the CMOS first. IF that didn't work might consider fresh OS install and clean download of chipset drivers. Also, check the "CPU power" plug(s) generally on the upper left of the CPU on motherboard to be sure they are tight and fully inserted on every pin.
looked thru the glass and the cpu power plug is fully plugged in, will try resetting cmos would try last since my pc is just a pain to get out. And i dont really like a fresh os install cause of the folders and pins i have would just reset, so i would try those 2 last. Sorry for being bit too choosy

njlji

Prominent
May 23, 2022
Based on the above result out of CPU-Z it shows that the processor is coming online for a multicore.

Do you have stock cooler/paste application or aftermarket and are you monitoring temps?
not the one who built it but it uses the stock cooler and i have not repasted it, i sometimes check the temps randomly and its around 60-70 while gaming 50 on idle

First thing is to clear up just what you're seeing in Task Manager: that's not one core that's not working, properly that's one thread (thread 2 on core 0) that's doesn't appear to be working for you. Task Manager (and many other utilities) consider each thread a virtual CPU core.

So I'd say it's not really a hardware problem but instead something in software, most likely the scheduler simply not fully loading the core that thread runs on. Have you installed updated chipset drivers lately? and what power plan are you using? What version BIOS are you running? BIOS version and chipset drivers in particular can have a significant impact on how the OS uses the CPU.

Last edited:

njlji

Prominent
May 23, 2022
First thing is to clear up just what you're seeing in Task Manager: that's not one core that's not working, properly that's one thread (thread 2 on core 0) that's doesn't appear to be working for you. Task Manager (and many other utilities) consider each thread a virtual CPU core.

So I'd say it's not really a hardware problem but instead something in software, most likely the scheduler simply not fully loading the core that thread runs on. Have you installed updated chipset drivers lately? and what power plan are you using? What version BIOS are you running? BIOS version and chipset drivers in particular can have a significant impact on how the OS uses the CPU.
well, yes i forgot they were called threads and i was able to fix it and it was because i had a software the made that thread go die https://github.com/miniant-git/REAL which i use for reducing audio latency(which was probably a placebo) but ive use that app for quite some time and that never happened before.
here's my task manager now:
unknown.png

well, yes i forgot they were called threads and i was able to fix it and it was because i had a software the made that thread go die https://github.com/miniant-git/REAL which i use for reducing audio latency(which was probably a placebo) but ive use that app for quite some time and that never happened before.
here's my task manager now:
unknown.png
Good to know you got it fixed! That looks way more normal.

Not a problem or anything but it's interesting how the processor and scheduler is sharing the processing load between the threads and cores during the monitoring interval shown there. Note how the utilization goes high on regular intervals, first one thread then another and so on. Whatever's going on is probably either single threaded or has one heavy thread (games are often like that) which is getting moved around to level-load the processor probably for thermal management. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not all silicon is equal. That applies to cores especially. AMD uses preferred thread status, it'll take the best core and use that the most, until it's no longer the best, then it uses the next best in rotation. And so on. This preserves the overall life of the cpu by slowly chipping away at the strongest and putting little use on the weakest. So any app run will get the best threads and the weakest will not be used. Even if a program would normally use 8 threads, the cpu might use just 7 if possible, just to avoid having to use the weakest thread.

You'd need to run a program like Prime95, that uses all available threads no matter what, to check status of each individual core/thread performance. Even there you might see threads 0-4 ticking slightly faster than 5-7.