[SOLVED] 1 core overclock vs all-core overclock

Stef Pro

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Knowing that games usually take advantage of the single core performance of a processor, would it be a great idea overclocking only one core of the cpu to prevent heat?

Solution
So, you're saying there's no need to overclock?
With current processors, the built-in temperature and clock management software does a great job. But just like some people would never buy an automatic transmission -- no matter how good -- there are users that believe they can do better. For average users, there is very little benefit, IMO.

kanewolf

Titan
With current processors, the built-in temperature and clock management software does a great job. But just like some people would never buy an automatic transmission -- no matter how good -- there are users that believe they can do better. For average users, there is very little benefit, IMO.

Solution
Probably depends more on the processor and motherboard but some platforms have optimized BIOS settings that improve single core boosting which can help. But even single core boosting can often times be limited by processor temperature so using a better cooler along with improving case ventilation will frequently be needed to see better results.

Last edited:

Stef Pro

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Okay, thanks!

Stef Pro

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Probably depends more on the processor and motherboard but some platforms have optimized BIOS settings that improve single core boosting which can help. But even single core boosting can often times be limited by processor temperature so using a better cooler along with improving case ventilation will frequently be needed to see better results.
So, I'm not planning to overclock I'm just curious, even if you have a great cooler, will you be able to hit higher frequencies with single core overclocks?

So, I'm not planning to overclock I'm just curious, even if you have a great cooler, will you be able to hit bigger frequencies with single core overclocks?
Not necessarily higher frequencies...the more likely is it will hold whatever frequency it can hit longer before temperature makes it's control algorithm reduce clocks. That has the best potential to improve actual performance.

Optimizing BIOS settings can make it hit the rated boost frequencies more reliably on more cores, maybe even exceed rated boost frequency. But that can also have a much more limited impact on actual performance if not accompanied with better cooling.

Reactions: HappyTrails

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020

Yes agrees with this depends on cpu its not as simple as others saying. Run stock my cpu will boost under load and increase regular clock speeds and the temperature which sounds great until look closer and see that it runs higher voltages and temp is hot. That running completely stock as intended by manufacturers. Stock my cpu boost only 1 core but OC I do multicore. Does it hurt my gaming performance? No not really I try before and after test I did benchmarks in games I play and there was maybe 1-2fps difference. Advantages to OC is I turn down voltage and that reduce my heat a lots.

OC can be fun to tinker not everybody care to understands. Can OC wiith air or water coolers they make the nice air coolers so good. Sometimes get too aggressive and OC can open the canned worms too so just be carefuls. In todays cpu there not a great deal of headroom left to see big gains. For me I like to tinker build system and OC have fun a little get stables and then game.