[SOLVED] 1 disk always at 100%

nitra93

Honorable
Apr 24, 2015
Hi Guys, i'm using a gigabyte b450 aorus elite mobo. ryzen 5 3600, rtx 2070. i have 2 500gb ssd and 1 120 gb ssd. in my system there's always 1 ssd that spikes to 100 percent when it's not in use. At first i thought it needed formatting, then i changed the sata cable, the power sata it was connected to, i even changed the drive but there's always 1 that spikes and it's unstable for a long time. i checked the smart status of them and they are all in perfect health when they're not spiking. I've changed every variable i can think of, do you have any other suggestions? could it be drivers?

Solution
I've had a number of SSDs over the years that started acting oddly and the only thing that I found to really make the issue go away was a secure erase.

nitra93

Honorable
Apr 24, 2015
What happens if you startup and run the system with that drive disconnected? Does another disk jump to 100%?
Yeah it does, it started off on the f drive, I unplugged it then it started doing it on the D drive. I had to factory reset my PC which fixed it for the moment. It must have been a driver thing.