1 Graphic Card = Works / 2 Graphic Cards = Black Screen on Login (Nothing new; just randomly after years of use).

WaldoJones

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Short version: I turned on my computer and the screen is black. But only when I use BOTH of my sapphire graphics cards via crossfire. When I use just one by itself (either one), everything works 100% fine.
In fact using both randomly works like 5-10% of the time. Right now I'm writing this with both cards in and running, and it's working 100% fine. But If I restart there's a 95% chance or greater that I will be facing a black screen I cannot bypass. I have used this exact setup for several years without issue.

Longer Version: I went on vacation for about 7-8 days. Before leaving I left my computer running to seed some torrents I downloaded for my trip. I was told there were some pretty severe storms at home while I was away, but when I got back my computer was still running programs that would have not been running had my computer been shutdown. I used it partially for one day, not installing anything new and then turned it off. When I went to turn it on the next day the screen was black but clearly lit-up with a small "A2" in the bottom right corner of my Acer monitor.

I've done all of these tests without success:
1. Restored my computer to two days earlier (my earliest restore point / backup).
2. Checked that all cords were plugged in firmly. Even going so far as to remove them and reconnect them all.
3. Replaced the monitor with an identical working monitor.
4. Replaced the cords with working cords connecting that monitor to my graphics card (VGA to HDMI).
5. Checked that the Graphics cards both worked individually, changed them around in every way possible. FYI: I cannot use anything but 2 slots on my motherboard since they wont physically fit anywhere else.
6. Replaced the crossfire ribbon cable with a brand-new cable I had in a box.
7. Replaced the Power Supply Unit with one that is 100% working; as well as the cables. I also tried plugging the cables into different spots on the PSU.
8. Removed the RAM Cards, one, the other, then both. (Screw it, I'll try anything at this point).
9. Completely deleted my graphics card driver using the software 'Display Driver Uninstaller' (DDU) from wagnardsoft and used AMD's auto-detect and install software to reinstall the graphics card drivers.
10. Overlooked all of my BIOS settings for anything that could be seen as useful and found nothing.
11. Remove the BIOS battery, and waited 10 minutes before putting it back in and trying again.
12. Tried plugging the HDMI into the secondary (bottom) graphics card and even waiting until the computer was on before plugging the HDMI in. This resulted in a ever-so-slightly greater chance of success. Though it may just feel like that's the case. It did work like twice, but I could never get it to work again.

All these tests were done with my desktop tower laying on it's side rather than vertical as I did my best to make sure it wasn't caused by the plugs being angled or the cards lacking physical support.

I have exhausted all resources on my end. Please help me solve this problem!

---------------- Here is my build ----------------

Operating System:
Windows 7, 64bit.

Motherboard:
MSI Z97-G45 (Gaming Motherboard)

CPU:
Intel i7-4790K (LGA1150)

Graphics Cards:
AMD Sapphire Radeon HD 7950

Power Supply Unit:
EVGA Supernova NEX750 (80 Plus / 750W)

RAM:
G.Skill DDR3-2133 (PC3-1700) 8GB — Two of them.

Monitor:
Acer X 193W 19" Widescreen LCD Monitor

System Drive:
Crucial MX300 2.5-inch SSD (750GB)

After-market Heat Sink for CPU:
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO

WaldoJones

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

I did a disk check yesterday and it didn't find any problems. I intend to do it again though.

I used the built-in windows disk checker. Is there any software that I should download which does it better than Windows?
It's a SSD drive using 64bit Windows 7. I will add it to the list of items in my build (I forgot to).