+1 GTX 950 , or GTX 960 ?

dead_mentor

Reputable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello, i wanted to have a triple monitor setup, even if it runs games on medium-low settings

i currently have 1 GTX 950 OC Windforce, should i get another one and make a dual connection between the two.

Or should i sell my current GTX 950 and just buy one GTX 960?

Solution
Make sure you have an SLI capable motherboard before you purchase another GTX 950. If you go that route try to find a clean used one. That said, I had a secondary computer with a GTX 950 (a Galax EXOC White Edition) and last summer I noticed on Galax's web store they have them on a clearance sale so I bought a second for SLI out of curiosity (never have dabbled in SLI before). They work surprisingly well @ 1920x1200. I get about 60% scaling in most games and they run pretty smoothly. Its definitely faster than a single GTX 960. More like a GTX 970. Of course there's the 2GB VRAM limitation - just turn AA down. I also have a main PC with a GTX 1070 and while its definitely faster and I can use all/most of the graphics options in...

Lutfij

Titan
It's always advised to buy the single most powerful card you can afford since that series of GPU's can support triple monitors. So my advice would be to ditch the GTX950 and get the GTX960. You also have the advantage of dumping less heat and less worry of driver issues when you want to game since SLI is't widely supported by all games and their dev team.

Further reading.

Mind you, it'd be worth sharing your full system's specs. List them as:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitors+resolution:

Draqone

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
What resolution monitors? The resolution, not the number of monitors is important.

That said... I would say a 1070 is the best bet for triple monitor at the moment. I simply don't see the benefits otherwise.

This is a windforce OC 950 GTX video card, you can actually plug 4 monitors on this card already 1xDVI-D, 1xDVI-I, 1xHDMI, and one video port
so what is the issue to plug 3 monitor on it ?

14-125-809-05.jpg

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
If you're just running regular Windows desktop and not trying to GAME on a triple monitor setup, a 950 will be more than sufficient. Heck, even the regular Intel IGP can handle simultaneous triple display. As long as your card has the appropriate physical output connectors and the monitors have the appropriate input connectors, most modern discrete cards should be able to handle triple monitors.

If you already have the 950 - heck, try it. The worst that will happen is that it won't work. You're not gonna break anything!

jeffredo

Distinguished
Make sure you have an SLI capable motherboard before you purchase another GTX 950. If you go that route try to find a clean used one. That said, I had a secondary computer with a GTX 950 (a Galax EXOC White Edition) and last summer I noticed on Galax's web store they have them on a clearance sale so I bought a second for SLI out of curiosity (never have dabbled in SLI before). They work surprisingly well @ 1920x1200. I get about 60% scaling in most games and they run pretty smoothly. Its definitely faster than a single GTX 960. More like a GTX 970. Of course there's the 2GB VRAM limitation - just turn AA down. I also have a main PC with a GTX 1070 and while its definitely faster and I can use all/most of the graphics options in games I don't feel like using the GTX 950 SLI PC is a huge step down in performance or image quality.

Solution