1 HDD 1 SSD, ssd full, how to move all SSD files to HDD except software (OS)

adembo2000

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Hi, I recently purchased my gaming computer and I have a 256 GB SSD with my OS. A few days later i recieved my 2 TB HDD. Currently, my SSD is completely full and I keep getting error messages saying that my disk is full. I already went into settings and made the save space the 2 TB. Also went and made sure Program Files and Program Files x86 are saving to my 2TB. Anyway to transfer all the data over from the SSD to the HDD without taking the OS, and also make sure everything is saving to the HDD?

Solution

You can install applications to whichever drive and folder you want.
It does NOT need to be named "Program Files".

During the install of an application, select Custom or Advanced. This lets YOU choose where it goes.
Don't just accept the defaults.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't set everything to save to hdd without breaking windows in process. There are fixes on internet suggesting you edit registry but that breaks windows update.

There isn't an easy way to do what you want to do.

You can move steam folders over easy enough, just copy/paste and redirect the library location in steam options, but almost everything else needs to be reinstalled.

what I would do is copy everything you want to save off SSD and do a fresh install of Windows (which ever version) and then reinstall all programs to hdd. If you have win 10, you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

adembo2000

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016

So I should transfer all data from the SSD to the HDD, but im unsure how to then do a fresh install of windows.

adembo2000

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016

Here is an imgur album with all the info
http://imgur.com/a/fMJ84

Where?

Well, you need to be more specific.

You CAN'T transfer the programs files folders, they need to be on the OS drive.
LoL can go anywhere, but needs to be reinstalled, dunno if you can just point it to the new directory, but you actually probably want to leave it on the SSD.

You have some junk folders like that windows10upgrade one that you probably don't need anymore.

Documents/pictures libraries can be moved easily by right clicking on them in explorer and choosing properties and location and then move.

If you don't have a problem deleting everything and reinstalling windows you can do that with the "Reset this PC" option, you can find by searching with cortana (it's in the backup and recovery section)

adembo2000

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016

Is it ok to move the users folder? Also most of my problem is from program files but I read somewhere its ok to move. What's the reason that you cant move it?

adembo2000

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
This says you CAN move the subfolders in program files, would this method work?
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-install-software-second-hard-drive-move-program-files-folder-in-windows-3500581/

USAFRet

Titan

Do NOT move the /Users/ folder. Bad things will happen.
http://www.zdnet.com/dont-move-your-windows-user-profiles-folder-to-another-drive-7000022142/

USAFRet

Titan

In that article, they refer to symlinks.
FAR more a pain and hazard than simply reinstalling the application where you want it.

Yes, the way that article describes it would work, it's just not as simple as cutting and pasting and what I was trying to have you avoid doing.

Do be careful when installing that program they tell you do download, it will kind of ask (but in a really forceful way) to install some unwanted software, that you have to specifically state you don't want it to install by choosing this like "custom install > do no install"

And like USAFRet said, don't move the users folder, but you can move the libraries, where the things like pictures and videos and music are stored easily by right clicking on them so they aren't taking up space on the C: drive. (especially the downloads library)

USAFRet

Titan

You can install applications to whichever drive and folder you want.
It does NOT need to be named "Program Files".

During the install of an application, select Custom or Advanced. This lets YOU choose where it goes.
Don't just accept the defaults.

Solution