1 headphone not working when mic plugged in - please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

winrawr

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I recently put together a new computer with a gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 mobo.

When I plug my headphones or speakers in, the sound works just fine however when I plug in my mic, the sound only comes through ONE headphone. The mic works when plugged in, but sound only comes through the left headphone when I have both the green inbound headset plug + mic plugged in.

I don't get it; I've tried re-installing the Realtek audio drivers, I've tried uninstalling the drivers and letting windows install audio drivers using the automatic wizard; I even went and bought a sound card (Rocketfish 5.1 PCI Sound Card) but the same exact problem occurs - the left headphone gets muted somehow when I plug in the mic. I've tried going through all the options under the Realtek sound manager, but nothing helps.

I want to be able to talk/play with friends in ventrilo, but its super annoying to only have sound come through one headphone and it makes it really tough to play counter-strike or other games.

Please help me and thanks a lot to anyone with any advice at all!

this is because the microphone is mono, and has a two conductor plug, you are connecting a two conductor device into a stereo three conductor audio jack, one of the stereo channels is shut off.
You need a stereo microphone, or an adapter to convert mono to a stereo plug. This type of adapter can be purchased from an electronics store such as radio shack. It has nothing to do with the drivers or software or computer.

Jadi

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
You may want to purchase an external audio card as they are all either 3D Virtual 7.1 Channel Surround sound or they are just stereo either way you can get them on Amazon for roughly £1.00 or $1.76 so they are very cheap and they usually come with free delivery, I hope this answered your question.
Good Luck
Jadi

Status
Not open for further replies.