Elliot87

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
So i've been having this problem lately where ive been getting dc'd exactly every hour. It seems to come for 1 day and be gone the next, only to come again another day and happen again. I called my ISP, they came out to my house, replaced my modem and said everything was ok. 1 day later the problem starts happening again. I started timing it, it was exactly 1 hour (down to the second)....every hour at EXACTLY :17 i was getting disconnected yesterday. From vent, from YIM, and from game. Anyone ever ran into this problem before? Is it possible i have a virus or something? please help this is soooooo annoying D:

prior to them changing the modem our download was actually more around 27-29, but the upload didnt change.

Sounds like you might have "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" checked for your wireless connection. You need to locate the wireless connection in Network Connections (run “ncpa.cpl” from a command prompt or Start), right click to Properties, locate the wireless tab, select advanced, and disable that option.

How 'bout a few more details. When you say it gets disconnected, what does that mean (exactly)? Do you get a red X in the system tray? Does it just stop working? Is it just a DNS problem? Is it the entire connection, or just a specific application/game that’s affected? What do you have to do to get it going again? Just wait? Reboot the modem? Reboot the PC? Both? What about your system, is it Windows? What type of make/model of NIC? Anything we should know about the PC that makes it’s the least bit unusual? Do you have another PC/laptop, even a smartphone, ipod,ANYTHING else you can connect to see if its specific to that PC?

IOW, you have to “stir the pot” a little on a problem like this in hopes of being able to detect anything that may be out of the ordinary. Remember, all we know it what you tell us. If we were there in person, that’s what’d be doing, poking around, looking for clues. I can’t necessarily tell you where to look, but use some common sense. If it’s happening exactly at 1 hr intervals, then it has to be something on a timer, either at the ISP, or your PC. Poke around your task scheduler. Monitor your task manager for any processes that may be invoked at the same time, etc.

Elliot87

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Its a quick split second disconnect. Long enough to boot me from anything that uses the inernet, YIM, games, etc. One thing i noticed though is that when this problem comes all i have to do is reboot my pc and the disconnects stop, but then it will happen randomly again the next day or day after. Honestly i think something is wrong with my computer. I had an issue a while back when my computer was in the crossfire of somebody's fight (lol) and it got a shoe thrown at it....when this happened the computer stopped turning on anymore, and I couldnt figure out what was wrong so i took all the everything off the motherboard and looked around, and when i took the processor out, and put it back in, it started working again. Ever since then my cores have been running hotter than usual, computer running extremely slow at times, and of course the disconnects. But im not entirely sure if the disconnects came before or after my pc got hit.

psibernetic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

Ignoring the hardware issues, as if that is the case there isn't much any of us can do for you, lets cover some simple steps. Try cleaning up your PC for any virus lurking, then disable your A/V just to rule it out of the equation. From there you need to address the problem on your PC, the first thing I would do is set a static IP instead of DHCP, or if you already have a static change it to another address or go DHCP. If you still experience issues its time to rebuild TCP/IP, but lets get through this first.