1 laptop - 2 networks?

Aug 5, 2018
Is it possible for a single computer to be connected to 2 different networks - one wired ethernet and another wi-fi?
I seem to think no, but I need to be able to network the laptop to other computers using wired gigabit ethernet (for using NDI to capture Powerpoint slides) while simultaneously connecting to a wi-fi IP camera placed remotely (?)
Any ideas anyone?

Solution
At 100ft with clear line of sight any of the units would work. You likely only need one on the router side. Many of the units can go many kilometers outside on tall structures so 100ft is nothing.

What is key is what frequency the camera runs on. It will be 2.4g or 5g with the 2.4g being more common. You just buy a directional bridge that is on the same frequency. Something like their older locom2 would likely work but you need to verify the frequency. If you use only a single unit you will likely want to run the ubiquiti unit in AP mode rather than point to point bridge.

Note I went back and notice there was a engenius recommended. That unit is good also I just have used ubiquiti more. Both companies have good equipment.

kanewolf

Titan
Do either of these networks HAVE to be internet enabled?

Another option, would be to use a wired switch, with a wireless directional bridge pointed to the camera. You will get greater distance with a directional bridge compared to the omnidirectional WIFI of a laptop. That way only one network is required.

Aug 5, 2018
Yes, the wired connection network needs to have Internet access.
What is a wireless direction bridge - is it just another separate wireless router?

Aug 5, 2018
What would the connection layout look like?
I have a wired router attached to the hotel Internet system (my router's MAC address is registered with the hotel system) - that router is connected to the hotel Internet using its WAN port and to 3 laptops using its LAN ports. This networks all 3 laptops so they can see each other and also connect to the Internet.

Now if I wanted to add a remotely located Wi-fi camera to the mix, so that it would be on the same network (i.e. seen by my laptop to bring in its video feed to the video switching software) what would the connections look like? The switching software has the ability to point to an IP address on the wi-fi camera.

Aug 5, 2018
But I do not need multiple networks - just one network with the (wired) laptops and the wi-fi camera all able to see each other on a single network?

kanewolf

Titan

A wireless bridge is a device kind of like a router. It accepts WIFI as input and converts it to wired. A directional bridge is a device that has an antenna that is optimized to work in a single direction. This Engenius unit is an example of what I am talking about.

Aug 5, 2018
So one would need a pair of these Engenius units - one at each end?
Would the one at the laptop end plug into my wired router LAN port and the other one into the remotely placed wi-fi ptz camera?
Would you have any idea of the latency of these units?

The latency is going to be the same as any other wifi. In general it will be small but it is wifi so you can get spikes.

How you accomplish this all depends on how the wifi camera is setup and what it is actually connected to. Is is close enough that it can establish a wifi connection directly with your router.

You would use the directional bridge equipment to in effect hook the camera to a ethernet port on the router. If it is fairly close you might be able to use just a single bridge unit and have that directly contact the camera. If it is still too far away you can put a directional bridge on the camera side also but then you get to the question of how you hook the bridge to the camera. The camera would need a ethernet port....or you would have to get a even more complex configuration.

Aug 5, 2018
I have the following setup which I use for webcasting live events from a hotel ballroom and a dedicated wired Internet connection which they provide:
1. Main laptop which has my video switching and encoding software (vMix).
2. Secondary laptop for a presenter, with their PowerPoint and screen capture software installed.
3. Third laptop for monitoring the stream.
4. Video camcorder(s) plugged into the main laptop via Hdmi capture.

The 3 laptops are networked via the LAN ports of a CISCO wired router (no wireless) which has its MAC address registered with the hotel system.
The hotel provides a main Internet connection which plugs into the WAN port of the router.

If I were to add a Wi-Fi PTZ Video Camera (e.g. an Amcrest ProHD) into the mix (to be placed remotely) what would be the best way to do this? It does have an ethernet port as well I believe.
Would I need 2 directional bridge devices or just one and where would it/they connect?
Would just one at the router end be able to connect to the IP address of the wi-fi camera?
Would the latency of these units be small enough to not cause audio desynch issue?
Which Engenius unit would you advise ? There are so many with different speeds and distances to choose from.
The distance between my camera station/router to the wi-fi camera location would be roughly about 100 ft.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan

If you have a WIFI enabled camera, then the directional unit can communicate directly. If the distances are longer (50m +) then a pair of directional access points can improve reliability.

You haven't provided any spatial information about the location of camera relative to anything.

At 100ft with clear line of sight any of the units would work. You likely only need one on the router side. Many of the units can go many kilometers outside on tall structures so 100ft is nothing.

What is key is what frequency the camera runs on. It will be 2.4g or 5g with the 2.4g being more common. You just buy a directional bridge that is on the same frequency. Something like their older locom2 would likely work but you need to verify the frequency. If you use only a single unit you will likely want to run the ubiquiti unit in AP mode rather than point to point bridge.

Note I went back and notice there was a engenius recommended. That unit is good also I just have used ubiquiti more. Both companies have good equipment.

Solution
Aug 5, 2018

That's good advice on the frequency point - Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
WIFI in a hotel ballroom can be an issue. There is so much competing WIFI from the hotel, personal hotspots, etc that 2.4Ghz can be almost useless. The camera you identified is a 2.4Ghz "G" camera. That may get very little throughput in a hotel ballroom scenario.

Although more complicated a pair of directional units in the 5Ghz band will have much better bandwidth usability. The identified camera does have a wired port also.

Aug 5, 2018

I am returning that 2.4 camera and exchanging it for a 5 Ghz camera as per all your suggestions.
With a 5G cam does one still require a pair of directional units or would a single at the laptop end be sufficient?
Thanks so much for all your help.

Aug 5, 2018
I have identified these 2 items as possible solutions to my situation:
1. EnGenius ENS500-AC EnTurbo Advanced Wave 2 11ac 5 GHz Wireless Outdoor Bridge
2. Swann Full HD Wi-Fi Pan & Tilt Camera

Both are 5 Ghz.
The question is: would I need one or 2 Engenius bridges?

If you use the camera you just listed you have no option to attach it to a directional bridge since it does not have ethernet.

There is no way to predict if you need 1 or 2 This is one of those cases you try 1 and if it does not work you buy a second. This of course assumes you use a different camera that has ethernet.

Aug 5, 2018

I read on BH Photo Video's site that it does have an ethernet port.
http://

I will double-check!
Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan