Question 1 Long Beep 2 Short Beeps, and PC not booting up

Oct 7, 2024
I've been facing this problem for almost a year, where my monitor screen would turn black out of nowhere, but the pc is still working in the background (Whatever video I was playing, or game I was playing, the audio for that is still there). But after restarting the PC, I'd heard one long and two short beeps, the VGA light is now on and my monitor isn't working.

Here's my PC Specifications:
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Inno3D RTX 3060 12GB
XPG ADATA GAMMIX D30 DDR4 8 GB RAM (2X)
MSI B550 A-PRO
MSI MAG A650BN PSU

This has happened thrice, and it got "resolved" twice until it happened again. When this happened for the first time, I gave it to a technician to work on it after none of what I did helped. He reported back to me in a few days that my SSD had been corrupted. I replaced that and the pc started working again. The weird thing here is that the SSD that died wasn't even my boot SSD

This happened again a few months later. I gave it to the technician again, and he tested my GPU, RAM sticks, I even went and changed my 550 watt psu to the one I have right now, but none of these parts seemed to be the problem after he ran them on other systems. He reported back to me sometime later that updating the bios made the pc work again.

Now this is the third time I've faced this problem. I tried updating the bios(because the technician said he had updated the bios but for some reason it still wasn't the one that supported the 5000 series CPUs) and it succeeded but I still am getting the three beeps. I tried resetting the CMOS battery, tried running the pc with one ram stick, but none of this has worked.

Another thing to note is that B550 A Pro's bios doesn't support 5000 series CPUs out of the box, but it was working fine for more than half a year until I started facing these problems. I don't understand why it worked in the first place when it didn't support the 5000 series. I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense, but at this point all my doubts are towards the motherboard or the bios, considering that the other parts seem to be working well.

Can someone please suggest me anything I can try? Or should I just RMA this motherboard? It's been almost two years since I built this pc. Any responses will be appreciated🙏

The 1 Long Beep, 2 Short Beeps for my Motherboard says "An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered"

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

MSI MAG A650BN PSU
How old is the PSU in your build?

Did you follow this guide;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNi0Y0CFDEI

in order to flash the BIOS to the latest version? Speaking of BIOS version, what version were you on prior to the creation of this thread?

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense, but at this point all my doubts are towards the motherboard or the bios, considering that the other parts seem to be working well.
You might want to reiterate what you did. What BIOS version were you on prior to the issues cropping up and what version did you flash the BIOS to?

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"Another thing to note is that B550 A Pro's bios doesn't support 5000 series CPUs out of the box, but it was working fine for more than half a year until I started facing these problems."

My underline.

"doesn't support" does not mean that something will not work per se.

So there could be situations where, depending on circumstances, things work and then do not work.

Noted that you reset CMOS. Was that done using the procedure provided in the User Guide/Manual?

Consider installing a fresh CMOS battery using the procedure provided in the User Guide/Manual.

Oct 7, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

MSI MAG A650BN PSU
How old is the PSU in your build?

Did you follow this guide;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNi0Y0CFDEI

in order to flash the BIOS to the latest version? Speaking of BIOS version, what version were you on prior to the creation of this thread?

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense, but at this point all my doubts are towards the motherboard or the bios, considering that the other parts seem to be working well.
You might want to reiterate what you did. What BIOS version were you on prior to the issues cropping up and what version did you flash the BIOS to?
Thank you so much for the response.
The bios version was 7C56vA0 prior to posting this thread. And this is what I updated to: 7C56vAF

Also that's not the video I watched, but the procedure I followed is pretty much the same
Here's the video I watched: MSI B550 A Pro Bios Flashback

EDIT: my psu is a little above a month old

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2024
This:

"Another thing to note is that B550 A Pro's bios doesn't support 5000 series CPUs out of the box, but it was working fine for more than half a year until I started facing these problems."

My underline.

"doesn't support" does not mean that something will not work per se.

So there could be situations where, depending on circumstances, things work and then do not work.

Noted that you reset CMOS. Was that done using the procedure provided in the User Guide/Manual?

Consider installing a fresh CMOS battery using the procedure provided in the User Guide/Manual.
Thank you for the response. I will try installing a new CMOS battery as soon as I can. As for the procedure, I watched a video that just asked me to get the CMOS battery out, wait for a couple of minutes and insert it back in which didn't work for me. But I'll definitely try installing a new one since that's something I haven't tried yet. Thanks a lot

TRENDING THREADS