1 long beep, 2 short beeps

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I have MSI 790FX-GD70 MoBo, AMD X4 945 CPU & Sapphire VaporX HD 4870 GPU. Everytime I try to boot up I am getting 1 long beep & 2 short beeps, the debug LED code reads 2E. I looked this code up & find that it was not in use. Does anyone know what this means & how to fix it?

Verify POST beep codes
Continues beeps or 1long 2short beeps = possible memory error
• Try re-seating memory or test with different memory
1long 2short or 8short beeps = possible video card problem
• Try re-seating video card, test system with known good video card

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:GqiaEs7SyLUJ:us.msi.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp+MSI+beep+codes&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Found that on the MSI website, the page no longer seems to exist but google has it cached. Either its a memory issue or a GPU issue, test the GPU and the ram in another machine if possible

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

I have the set Ram setting in the Dimm closest to the CPU, does this matter?

The motherboard manual usually gives a list of the error codes and what they mean.

For the RAM, try a single stick; read your motherboard manual as to the specific spot. I suppose it's possible you have your RAM installed in the wrong slots. You can't just put RAM in any slot(s). Also confirm you don't have TOO LARGE of RAM.

I'd also remove anything absolutely unnecessary:
1) leave one stick of RAM only
2) remove DVD drive
3) remove all non-Windows hard drives
4) Remove sound card or other cards
5) Reseat graphics card
6) Confirm CPU fan and graphics card fans are working

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

The user guide does not show the error code that is coming up on the LED POST, which is 2E (the user guide sucks big ones) I can not find 2E anywhere in the guide or online. I will remove everything & start over testing/boot as I install. I will repost after, thanks for your time & info.

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

"remove all non-Windows hard drives" what is this