1 long beep 3 short beeps

cl8on

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Hi there,
Really hoping someone can help me. My problem starts during a game called fuel. The screen froze and my system was non responsive, ultimatly I had to manually reboot. Since then my monitor doesn't switch on with my PC. I get an error code of 1 long and 3 short beeps suggesting gpu error. If I press enter then I can hear windows start up sounds and plenty of HDD activity.

So it seems it is gpu problem, so I swap out my 2 9800gtx+(sli) for a 8500GT I had lying around. Result, monitor switches on and windows loads. After a short time windows asks to restart to complete driver installation, so I restart and no monitor again. Press enter and windows boots.

So what just happened? Did my system just eat another GPU? If so what could cause such a thing to happen? If not then what else could be going on?

I have tried different sticks of RAM and have also tried each of my 9800's on their own and the 8500GT. Don't know what else to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My specs are in my sig.

I know there are some really skilled people on this site as I have used it before so thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Kari

Splendid
have you tried booting into safe mode? might be driver problem, make sure you're not using the latest drivers, they mess up the fan profiles and cause overheating...

I doubt that it is drivers, you need to look up the beep codes for your board. You got a hardware problem. Either the cards are not getting power or the slot is dead and the bios can't properly boot the cards.

cl8on

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Thanks for your repies. I don't think it's driver related either, like I said I get no display even for bios post. So drivers are not even loaded. I am tending to lean towords what nforce4max is saying. Though I haven't had this PSU long so I am not thinking it is this.

Could all 3 pci-e slots be dead on MB?

I will hopefully be able to try my gpu's in a friends PC later, will post on how it goes.

Kari

Splendid
so you are not getting anything on the display with any of the cards now? in any of the slots? during post or in windows?

but if the cards were completely bust, i wouldn't think the comp would continue to boot up into windows... (maybe it's your monitor lol)

cl8on

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Thanks Kari, I will try later with my laptop plugged into monitor, will let you know what happens later.

cl8on

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
My mate brought his PC around earlier to test GPU's and monitor and these all worked fine in his system.
So I guess this leaves just the PSU or MB.

Do you have an extra psu to rule it out. I am betting that it is your board.

cl8on

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
No I don't have a spare PSU anymore but I'm thinking also thinking it's the board, my PSU has it's own error buzzer and LED state indicator, which all seems OK (no abnormal buzzer sounds and LED is green). Also been having trouble on and off with USB running USB 1 speeds. This board has been a bit of a pain with temps upto 80 degrees on the northbridge and southbridge and over-volting on ram (2.2v on auto) corsair says these sticks should run at 1.9v.
If it is the board any idea on what could have happened to it? Can't even RMA because it was sold as OEM and asus warranty doesn't cover OEM products, do they?

It seems to me that your original graphics card is faulty, when you put in the second card you screwed up the driver’s installation. To rectify start the computer hit F8 to get the boot menu select VGA mode to boot into windows then uninstall all graphics drivers and the download and install the drivers for your graphics card.

Well just trying to rule out the psu first but I agree with you that it is your board that is the problem. The usb and ram issues alone would have driven me to get a new board. Ram isn't cheap any more like it used to be since prices are going up gain. :/

cl8on

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010

Just got my pc running again, well sort of limping really. I put my gpu in the x8 slot (white one) switched monitor off completely, switched on pc, waited for post beep (single beep), then power up monitor and hey presto signal to monitor. Funny thing, whilst waiting for post beep my gpu fan keeps changing speed.

This does not work in the x16 slots which are run by nf200 chip, I wonder if this is cooked. I read on nvidia and evga forums that the graphics driver I was using (191.07) was causing a problem on certain systems running this driver and windows 7 x64. And guess what I was using!

Tried to uninstall driver, ran driver sweeper in safe mode. Still the same. Tried mb bios update and still no change.

Don't know what else to try, oh well at least I got something to use for the time being, got to be better than this laptop I'm using.

This is why I stay with tried and tested os like XP or Vista. I am using both versions of this driver and don't have the issue but this is unusual. If you got another card try it in the 16x if it acts the same then its the board.

EL Cannon

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
I had this same problem, PSU was shot, replaced it all good now.

Discovered this by removing GPU still same problem, removed alll power except MB still same.