1 long beep and 2 short beeps

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
When I try booting I get 1 long beep and then 2 short beeps. I googled and it seems to be a video card error, however I tried both my 5850 and the onboard with no luck. Tried DVI and HDMI connections. Anything else I can try or is this a bad board?

model is M4A89GTD Pro

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Did all that, tried with integrated also.

Should I try a vga connector instead of HDMI?

I gotta refind all the parts that came with the board if nothing works :(. If it doesn't work with integrated then I can be sure its not my GPU's fault right?

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Alright I guess I'll go find a vga wire.

Another thing though, if I bent some of the cpu pins but then straightened them out (it fits perfectly now) could it relate to that and not the video cards?

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Wow, I just read through the manual and found the beep code section. Turns out my problem means unidentifiable memory... I could've sworn that my mem is compatible. I'll go 2 microcenter and buy some more RAM and another cpu (just in case).

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Well thats what the manual for this says. I guess ASUS has different beep codes. I can return these if they don't work so thats why I'm testing RAM + CPU.

while I'm at it I guess I can buy another mobo...maybe switch it with the faulty one and save myself a RMA :p

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Meh didn't work. I borrowed a friends CPU mobo and RAM that matched mine since Microcenter won't let you return without a 15% restock for RAM and the CPU and Mobo aren't returnable.

In the end I said screw it and spent 600 on a i7 930, ASUS P6T, and a triple channel kit... That worked >.> Installing windows as I speak. Money does solve problems xD...

edit: It seems all current gen ASUS boards share the 1 long 2 short beep for Memory Error. It was the same for my P6T.

ClassicD

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Hi

I just thought i would say that infact YES it is the memory, mine was ECC when infact it doesn't support it.

Slot in non-ecc and worked perfect - different beep codes.

Thanks

soul reaper

Distinguished
May 3, 2010

Wat :O This is like a 4 year old question lol. I'm still rocking the i7 but I know for sure that I was not using ECC memory on the non working board :p