Question 1 m.2 and 1 hdd but 3 storages?

Pro_SaiboT

Reputable
May 1, 2019
Hi guys, Im new on building PCs, well more of upgrading rather than building,well anyways, here's my problem I have 3 storages Local Disk C, D and E (80gb m.2, 450gb hdd, and 500gb hdd maybe?). When I disassembled my CPU I only see 1 m.2 and 1 hdd... how come I have 3 storages?, anyone knows what this is? thank you for reading! I'm looking forward to your replies.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Are you sure that it is 3 physical hard drives or 1 hard drive that is partitioned into 2 different logical drives? if it is not detect under my computer go to your disk manager and see you might find it there as unallocated space or something.
If it is not there double check on the data and power cables going to the hard disks.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
It's easy to merge them back, or you can just make the 2nd logical unit again, just go to the disk manager and the unallocated space right click it and click create new volume and continue off from there.
If you want to merge it you will have to make your hard disk dynamic disk to merge the two spaces back together.

And glad to help!

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
If you want to merge them back together you have to delete the old one, and how to do is it by right clicking the physical disk turn it into dynamic disk and then right click it again and click on expend size or something.

Before you start deleting and merging partitions, could you post a screen shot of your Disk Manager. Windows creates 2 Primary Partitions on the same Disk 0, the Active not usually designated with a letter and the other C: is described as (Boot, Page File Crash Dump. Primary partition). If you have a very large HDD, then you may have a 3rd Partition D: which is certainly not a problem, as it simply divides up a large HDD, making it easier to find stored files.

Last edited:

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well he just said that he has an M.2 drive as boot and he has a 2nd harddisk that he logically made into 2 disks. And now he cant find the E drive that he was looking for so it must be under unallocated space or something, there is no other explanation for it.
And the OP can try to merge them without converting the D disk into a dynamic disk, but it most probably wont allow him as it did not allow me when i did mine.

I sounded like to me the OP saw three "drives" in his file explorer, but only 2 physical HDDs inside the case, and wanted to know why this is so." When I disassembled my CPU I only see 1 m.2 and 1 hdd... how come I have 3 storages?" I could be wrong, but it sounds like he was a 1T HDD divided into 2 500g partitions C: and D:

Reactions: iMatty

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Yeah thats what i said, i told him it is divided logically into 2 separated drives and one of the logical drives didn't show up he wanted to get that one back, so i told him to go to disk manager.

If the second partition has a drive has a letter designation D:, than it is not unallocated space. He said the C: drive was 500gb and the D: was 500gb. I did not read anywhere that one of the logical drives didn't show up. only that he had 3 drive letters and only 2 physical HDDs. Again, I could be reading this all wrong as it's late and I am going to bed. :)

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
His m.2 is 80GB, and the 2nd physical hard disk he has must be 1tb, so he was wondering that his 2nd logical disk was gone for some reason or another.
So he was wondering how to get it back.
There is only 2 of them showing now which is the M.2 and the 480GB of the rest of the 1tb, that means the 2nd logical partition was empty so windows decided to not include it in the my computer section.
that's what he meant.

80gb m.2, 450gb hdd, and 500gb hdd maybe?

Pro_SaiboT

Reputable
May 1, 2019
A screencap of the Disk Management window will dispel all doubts as to what is what.
Anything else is just guessing, and potentially leading the OP down the wrong path.
No sweat my guys, onespeedbiker is right, Im seeing 3 letters but only 2 physical drive, I later found out that my E: isa partition of my D: the 1tb hdd, thanks to iMatty for telling me that I can merge it back together, I used easeus partition master because the disk manager is complicated and I dont wanna wipe my files off my pc.

Reactions: iMatty