1 Memory Stick out of 6 goes bad... Do I have to get all new?

trikcard

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Okay, I've got this system, x58 Gamer. Pretty much it's an i7 with 6 sticks of 2 GB Ram. The Ram is Corsair DDR3 1600 PC2-1200. It's probably their lowest line since it came with the PC. The guy at Comp said it's low density.

Anyhow, I've been getting BSODs for a while now and after running through all the memory sticks one by one, I found one was getting errors. So I need to replace it. I wanted to go up and get a couple of 4 GB sticks and maybe just remove one more and place these two new ones in along with the old four and give me a total of 16 GB. I figured memory went in pairs so at least the pairs would have to match.

Here's my question, the memory that came stock isn't really sold anymore and the guy said all the memory has to match or I would still get BSODs. So he talked me into just buying 3 sticks of 4GB Kingston HyperX so it would still give me the 12 GB. He told me all the benefits of it being High Density, and all that. But now I have 5 sticks of perfectly good DDR3 that I can't use.

So a couple of questions... One did I need to buy this ram, or could I have just bought another stick to replace the stick that went bad or would mixing be bad. Also, if I did need these and install them, should I leave the other three slots open or can I attempt to put 3 of my 2GB sticks in there? I hate having 5 sticks just useless...

Mixing memory sticks a huge no-no?

"One did I need to buy this ram?"
Yes, very much indeed. It free's up 3 slots of RAM on the mobo for further expanding options. Also, 2GB these days isn't really worth looking into. It's like a dead investment.

"Could I have just bought another stick to replace the stick that went bad ?"
You could have, but it was not available as you said, so, treat it like something of the past.

"Would mixing be bad?"
Possibly , yes, since you wouldn't have got the exact same RAM, different timing RAM module in the set would drive you crazy if you started getting BSODs. And end up with another dead investment.

"Should I leave the other three slots open or can I attempt to put 3 of my 2GB sticks in there? "
Leave them free, you still have the 12GB you were so used to. Don't mix them up,IMO.

And you can either save the sticks for a rainy day when/if the new ones go blink, or, you could be a sweetheart and sell them off at half their price to the more needy and less privileged or then just donate them.