1 Million Apple TVs? What About a Real TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
According to past history, an Apple TV will have a glossy finish instead of flat, so good luck watching TV with the lights on. It will have brightness and color variations across the body of the screen (like so many other Apple notebook and computer displays). It will come with an internal, non-replaceable battery that doesn't do anything except cause the TV to not work a week after your 18-month warranty runs out, and it will still only be 720P, even though you pay twice as much as a Samsung 3D-TV.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
[citation][nom]power hungry[/nom]Not when they can pay 3 times the price of a regular TV for inferior hardware in a nice white case.[/citation]
Anodized Aluminum*

power hungry

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]naw thesupermedium ... that'll be the pro model and cost 5x as much >_[/citation]

It will get all scratched up as soon as anything touches it. You will need to buy a protective case.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Will the sheep ever stop following Apple?[/citation]
So they might sell a million of something else you don't want. Shop with your feet and use whatever TV you want. I'm sure most everybody here is a brand whore of something overpriced whether they admit it or not... cars, computers, coffee, etc. That's why navigating Tom's is like navigating a mine field of pop-up ads, everyone here is a consumer.

My brother in law bought one, and showed it to me just a couple days ago. I have to say Apple TV is actually retardedly awesome. He pulled up a video on his iPad, then hit a button and suddenly we're watching it on TV. Then he opened up his music and sent some songs to his Airport Express playing the music on a boom box. Then we browsed pictures on his iPad, which he then also sent to the TV. I was extremely impressed, and I don't like Apple because I think it's a ripoff. But Apple TV is actually a really really good technology.

Lots of the above posters clearly don't know what they're talking about. Apple TV is NOT A TV. It's a small box with HDMI output that connects to your TV and WiFi, and it's only $120 CAD.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I've always been of the opinion that TV makers should just focus on making the pixels pretty and having lots of connections. The more stuff they integrate into it, the more can go wrong. Say if the Apple TV component breaks but the rest of the set is fine, you would have to send the whole thing in for repair.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
i hope to god that people don't soon reconsile the term "TV" to some Crapple box that offers TV compatibilities, instead of knowing what a TV really is.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Why so few companies think about building a 3D LED backlit LCD tv with a blueray drive and support for various internet fileformats is unknown to me.
The first hardware manufacturer that enables mkv playback as well as mp4, avi, and ogg for audio will probably sell millions of those devices!

Having everything in one box is much better! no longer the extra space underneath the tv used by tv boxes, dvd and blueray players, etc...

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Heh, the one obvious problem not mentioned = bandwidth.

Internet isn't free, and there are bad width caps.

It would be nice if you could drop the $50 / month cable bill and fill it with better content from apple TV.... but you will probably have to increase your internet plan. So, if you have to increase your internet plan by $25 per month, are you really getting a better deal then keeping your $50 cable bill?

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]My brother in law bought one, and showed it to me just a couple days ago. I have to say Apple TV is actually retardedly awesome. He pulled up a video on his iPad, then hit a button and suddenly we're watching it on TV. Then he opened up his music and sent some songs to his Airport Express playing the music on a boom box. Then we browsed pictures on his iPad, which he then also sent to the TV. I was extremely impressed, and I don't like Apple because I think it's a ripoff. But Apple TV is actually a really really good technology. Lots of the above posters clearly don't know what they're talking about. Apple TV is NOT A TV. It's a small box with HDMI output that connects to your TV and WiFi, and it's only $120 CAD.[/citation]

You didn't read the article?

G

A gorgeously overprice TV with an IPS display... Yup I'd prolly buy it in all seriousness. Apple really does know how to make really sweet looking displays.

G

I look at the Apple efforts and wonder "what's taken them so long". Seriously: I've been using my XBox 360 to stream video and audio since it first came out (my wife was nice enough to by me an original XBox 360). And, let's face it, the Xbox360's video and audio streaming wasn't exactly "new" tech if you felt like setting up a Linux-based home media solution.

At the end of the day, the one that's going to win is the one that provides me with the greatest level of value (content-flexibility, ease of use and price combine to make "value"). Apple's always been big on ease of use and "pretty", but not exactly big on content-flexibility or price.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]According to past history, an Apple TV will have a glossy finish instead of flat, so good luck watching TV with the lights on. It will have brightness and color variations across the body of the screen (like so many other Apple notebook and computer displays). It will come with an internal, non-replaceable battery that doesn't do anything except cause the TV to not work a week after your 18-month warranty runs out, and it will still only be 720P, even though you pay twice as much as a Samsung 3D-TV.[/citation]
You forgot one thing...
That you have to be sitting the right way to be able to view it lol or the signal won't come in :p

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]My brother in law bought one, and showed it to me just a couple days ago. I have to say Apple TV is actually retardedly awesome. He pulled up a video on his iPad, then hit a button and suddenly we're watching it on TV. Then he opened up his music and sent some songs to his Airport Express playing the music on a boom box. Then we browsed pictures on his iPad, which he then also sent to the TV. I was extremely impressed, and I don't like Apple because I think it's a ripoff. But Apple TV is actually a really really good technology. Lots of the above posters clearly don't know what they're talking about. Apple TV is NOT A TV. It's a small box with HDMI output that connects to your TV and WiFi, and it's only $120 CAD.[/citation]
None of this is new... we have already been able to do all that you have mentioned for quite some time now.........

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]None of this is new... we have already been able to do all that you have mentioned for quite some time now.........[/citation]
It's only new, magical and revolutionary when Apple does it and until they do it it never happened before :p

G

Its not that the technology is new, it is that is works so easily...and seamlessly. Apple's forte is making technology accessible to real people through its ease of use and through its thorough integration with the technology they are already using. You can control your Apple TV with your iPad while streaming video from your iMAc and making a phone call on your iPhone using apps and contents purchased in iTunes. All by simply putting in your wifi password...and credit card information. People don't want to have to hire a geek squad to set up a network of interconnected devices, they just want a network of interconnected devices. People are willing to pay a price for this, which is why apple has been so successful.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
"In our view, Apple is one of the few companies in the world that will be able to offer consumers a broad digital media ecosystem with iTunes, iBooks and the App Store"

You can't truly offer a "broad digital media ecosystem" with the gates closed, you dumbass.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
You probably should read the article before saying people leaving comments don't know what they are talking about. Pot calling the kettle black...

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I'm sure Apple TV works great with other "Apple" products. I wouldn't buy an Apple TV, no way...I highly doubt it would be compatitable with my home server to stream content. You will likely be forced to use iTunes even if you prefer Media Monkey. I will be forced to use Quicktime format. The Software inside the TV will want to convert all your formats to Apple formats to read them, and most of the control a power user would need will be hidden, and inaccessible through the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS