1 Million Apple TVs? What About a Real TV?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Google TV makes sense. Android applications have proven to be popular in cell phones as Google is quickly overtaking Apple's closed ecosystem approach. Apple insists on producing their own hardware, originally they wanted to create their own cell phone network before signing with AT&T, I'd rather buy a TV built by a company that has been doing it already for some time. I highly doubt Apple would be able to work with any leading TV producers because they would most likely want exclusive contracts prohibiting them from using Google, (or any competing software for that matter), on any of their other TVs. This would not be good for consumers and while there may be a very loyal Apple fan base there are far too many people that would run from an Apple TV than those who would want one.

To me Apple is much to like Microsoft, they want to spoon feed you bits and pieces of the internet they feel is good enough for you. I'd rather they just give people what they want and stop playing corporate parent to their consumers.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
My question is, is this 1 million units sold of the newest version, or is this counting all versions ever released. If it's all versions, that's pretty sad because I think this is the third or fourth iteration, though I'm too lazy to look it up.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
You'll need to put a bumber cover on it in order to get the free channels. Becuse we all know that we'll set up the tv facing the wrong way.

RisnDevil

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]My question is, is this 1 million units sold of the newest version, or is this counting all versions ever released. If it's all versions, that's pretty sad because I think this is the third or fourth iteration, though I'm too lazy to look it up.[/citation]

This is only the second iteration of the device.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Now, as to the AppleTV itself: I prefer the original generation, which I own. On it's own right, it was a relatively conveniant and usefull product. When hacked, and opened up for new content, it became amazing. I remember when the second generation was in the works all the rumors that were flying around about what it would be that ended up being untrue, which is a shame, because those would have added up to a product I would have bought.

If all they do is find some way to slap/build one of this generation model into a real TV, I will pass, thanks. BUT, if they do like rumors first pointed to, and incorporate iOS into a TV and allow for touch content and control through your iPhone or iPad, that would be worth it. Nothing short of that will satisfy me though.

(BTW, I thought it was supposed to be the Apple users who were elitist snobs? That sure seems to be the feeling I get from the people around here, who clearly ARE NOT Apple fans.)

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]My brother in law bought one, and showed it to me just a couple days ago. I have to say Apple TV is actually retardedly awesome. He pulled up a video on his iPad, then hit a button and suddenly we're watching it on TV. Then he opened up his music and sent some songs to his Airport Express playing the music on a boom box. Then we browsed pictures on his iPad, which he then also sent to the TV. I was extremely impressed, and I don't like Apple because I think it's a ripoff. But Apple TV is actually a really really good technology. Lots of the above posters clearly don't know what they're talking about. Apple TV is NOT A TV. It's a small box with HDMI output that connects to your TV and WiFi, and it's only $120 CAD.[/citation]
Meanwhile, my droid just needs an HDMI cable to do pretty much the same things you describe here. Its not wireless yet, but thats not too big of a deal for me personally.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]I was extremely impressed, and I don't like Apple because I think it's a ripoff. But Apple TV is actually a really really good technology. Lots of the above posters clearly don't know what they're talking about. Apple TV is NOT A TV. It's a small box with HDMI output that connects to your TV and WiFi, and it's only $120 CAD.[/citation]
I'm sorta in the same boat. I'm not really an apple guy. I do have an iPod Touch, as it's a pretty slick device. My brother brought over his Apple Tv and with his Netflix subscription he was watching almost any movie or tv show he wanted at the touch of a button. I didn't bother trying, but I could use my iPod as a remote and also bridge over my music, videos or pictures from either my iPod or from iTunes on my (windows) computer. It's a slick little device that is amazingly easy to use.

The one con I will give is it's not Blu-ray or even sometimes DVD quality. I'm not sure if it depends on the connection speed, but my parents have 5meg down and many movies or shows had artifacts and blocks. DVD's often look better. I don't want to know how my 1.5meg connection would handle it. I'd probably need a connection upgrade.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
There are already Samsung televisions which you can use Netflix on. :)
Now if only Netflix Canada widened it's selection to that it offers its American audience (most of my favorite shows aren't offered in Canada).

mt2in

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Wolfram23[/nom]My brother in law bought one, and showed it to me just a couple days ago. I have to say Apple TV is actually retardedly awesome. He pulled up a video on his iPad, then hit a button and suddenly we're watching it on TV. Then he opened up his music and sent some songs to his Airport Express playing the music on a boom box. Then we browsed pictures on his iPad, which he then also sent to the TV. I was extremely impressed, and I don't like Apple because I think it's a ripoff. But Apple TV is actually a really really good technology. Lots of the above posters clearly don't know what they're talking about. Apple TV is NOT A TV. It's a small box with HDMI output that connects to your TV and WiFi, and it's only $120 CAD.[/citation]

Obviously the technology was seamless and well thought out, you didn't have to click 5,000 times to make it happen and it worked instinctively. What more can you ask for? I have a PC but I have used apple products for as well for a while now and I am definitely impressed. Yes I am sure you can do the same things an Apple TV can using PC based products but can you do it without saying, "ok hang on, watch this uhhhhhhh, ok one second uhhhhh...."? You can own both products, compare them and in the end if you are impressed with a product, own it.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mt2in[/nom]Obviously the technology was seamless and well thought out, you didn't have to click 5,000 times to make it happen and it worked instinctively. What more can you ask for? I have a PC but I have used apple products for as well for a while now and I am definitely impressed. Yes I am sure you can do the same things an Apple TV can using PC based products but can you do it without saying, "ok hang on, watch this uhhhhhhh, ok one second uhhhhh...."? You can own both products, compare them and in the end if you are impressed with a product, own it.[/citation]

Granted, that they can do that is good. However, on the other hand, 'seamlessness' is not really new either. There are LOTS of products for PCs that are easy to use and seamless as well. A user can fail at comprehension to use a product with Apple products as well as PC products. I think this attitude often stems from there being more 'enthusiast-oriented' peripherals that people THINK are supposed to act that way, but aren't meant to be that way in the first place. That and bad knockoffs.

Long story short: Apple isn't the first to be seamless either. Applause that they are, sure, but again, not revolutionary.

tom6667

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Will the sheep ever stop following Apple?[/citation]
you really are a sad dumb jealous loooser, luckily idiots like you never manage anything in life other than crying on the internet :))

What use is Apple TV for anyway? Maybe that's why its selling so slowly for Apple standards.

Anyhow, an Apple-branded TV will offer 720p resolution for $3000, and 1080p for $7000. Cables are extra - you have to use an Apple-approved HDMI cable of $100.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
These things exist you know... they're called "iMac with a TV tuner".

Jokes aside, do we really need yet another thing to think about then looking for TVs?
Google, Apple, proprietary or just a plain old TV?

These things should stay about a cable length away from the TV, just where they belong.

montereymikedunn

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
xerroz "Will the sheep ever stop following Apple"?

Not productive sheep because it's better to follow quality than quantity, you wolf.

In response to the high price of Apples: You get what you pay for, always. The market would not allow it.

*Next*

montereymikedunn

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Dear Apple, Incorporate into IOS for AppleTV a way to feed me TV commercials that are geared to my personal needs and wants. 500 questions on startup would suffice. Hmmm. Why do I always reach for the remote during TV commercials?

sokangcraft

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Will the sheep ever stop following Apple?[/citation]

I know right instead of an LG Oled TV with the infinitely better Google TV or an Xbox. Please make me over pay for services that are offered for free with better quality elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.