News "1 Million PCs Sold Every Day": Desktop PC Market Thriving Despite Tech Shortages

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
In other words to get "something" more people are buying through traditional retailers rather than buying in the used or component market. Not even going to go into people buying PCs with stimulus checks.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
It's amazing, but there are still some people who cannot wrap their heads around how many PCs are sold each year--it dwarfs the number of consoles sold, for instance. Always has. There's simply no numerical comparison to be made. PCs are open-ended computing devices that not only can run the latest games with available hardware that is a multiple of Xs faster/better/newer than what comes in consoles, but PCs can also be used for a limitless number and type of applications--for purposes of all kinds. Consoles, while costing less, for certain, also do much less, as well. Consoles are gaming devices--cheap gaming devices--restricted to more expensive gaming software and very limited compared to a desktop PC in their upgradable options, etc. I only bring this up because there are still those odd persons here and there who believe that PCs are fast fading away...;) I've heard that for better than 20 years, and never once has it been true in all of that time! If one counts the DIY PC population--of which I am a member and have been since 1995, when I bought my last OEM pre-built, it won't be long until PCs are hitting their 400M a year numbers again, I'm sure.

Most "PC" sales numbers traditionally include laptops--because they are PCs, too--mobile PCs. Surprising to see that these numbers are strictly desktops...?

Why would people trade off a much more upgradable, much more flexible, open-ended computing device capable of running tens of thousands of games and applications on multiple operating system for devices that are inherently far more limited in function and thus far less useful? It doesn't make sense to me that they would. And obviously they haven't. Cell phones and gaming consoles have their uses, for certain, but not a one of them comes close to replacing my desktop PC at home.

InvalidError

Titan
It's amazing, but there are still some people who cannot wrap their heads around how many PCs are sold each year--it dwarfs the number of consoles sold, for instance. Always has. There's simply no numerical comparison to be made. PCs are open-ended computing devices that not only can run the latest games with available hardware that is a multiple of Xs faster/better/newer than what comes in consoles, but PCs can also be used for a limitless number and type of applications--for purposes of all kinds.
The bulk of PCs get sold to corporations, schools, governments and other similar clients by the hundreds per order. They will never be gamed on in any meaningful capacity and most won't get opened even once for cleaning under their first ownership.