1 monitor detected as 2 displays

sony400

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014
I have installed air display (android program to use phone screen as extension for pc),after i installed the program on my pc it worked fine.After 2 restarts and it was only showing the boot animation and then nothing,just a white screen and i had to force-shut the pc.

I formatted the pc and everything works fine but there is a bug,my monitor is detected as two monitors as seen in the pictures.I have tried to unistall both the monitors from device manager but after rebooting they are reinstalling.
From screen resolution options there is no remove-disable as you can see for the "ghost" monitor.And last the most crazy thing,my monitor has a vga output and the gpu has 2 dvi ports so i use a vga to dvi converter.As you can see in the amd catalyst center,it detects the real monitor as crt,analog and the disabled as dvi connected.

The monitor is the viewsonic q201wb,i have never had problems with it and neither now cause i have tried to connect the monitor (with the cable i use for my desktop too) to my laptop and eveything is fine,windows detect one monitor,and i have tested the gpu of my computer with my tv and it detects one monitor (the TV only).

I am thinking that Air display made permanent option or the converter from vga to dvi is dying?What do you think?

P.S.i have to set the resolution to 1680x1050 every time (which was default before) because it starts at 1600x1200

Untitled_zpsfc143ebc.png
Untitled2_zps83cae134.png
Untitled3_zpsfd5c96e2.png
Untitled4_zps1a3bd7b2.png

Solution
If you formatted the computer, the air display program would not be on there and can't mess with anything. Make sure you have installed the drivers. I have seen funny things happen when a dual-link DVI port was used with a single link cable or adapter. If you can, test a DVI monitor with the system. If you can't, you can try another DVI to VGA adapter, they are pretty cheap.
If you formatted the computer, the air display program would not be on there and can't mess with anything. Make sure you have installed the drivers. I have seen funny things happen when a dual-link DVI port was used with a single link cable or adapter. If you can, test a DVI monitor with the system. If you can't, you can try another DVI to VGA adapter, they are pretty cheap.

Solution

sony400

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014

I don't have the ability to find a DVI monitor so i will try with a different adapter. BTW the two ports are DVI-I Dual link.

sony400

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014

i have tested with another dvi converter but the same thing happens,no change at all

You don't have two cables from the PC to the monitor do you?

I have seen a ghost monitor before on some radiology systems with dual video cards and a program for xray viewing, the program sets up monitors in a certain way and in some cases it will leave a ghost monitor in the Windows configuration after it exits. Was fun to figure that issue out as we'd have doctors wondering where the display went to.

Odd thing in your case is that it's doing it after a clean Windows setup. This may help you with a registry edit https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windows/en-US/eaad161a-1567-4e6d-b7e0-e0cf3bcd0609/reset-graphics-and-monitor-registry-settings

sony400

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014

No i use a single cable.I have tried to clean the DISPLAY from registry and reset diplay drivers in the registry but still the same...

sony400

Honorable
Mar 9, 2014
I tried with the registry but nothing.After that i formatted the pc again with windows 8.1 pro,same thing there so i tested the pins from both of the dvi ports of my gpu and as a result is that the dvi ports detect my monitor as two same monitors,i have no perfomance problems just that,so it is a bug-problem of the gpu!! Thanks hang-the-9,it was not the adapter but it was the dvi port so i will give you the solution!