1 month build and now have a SSD to install, what now?

Reece Blair

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
All i know is that a SSD is going to make things run faster so am looking for a guide that suits me and is easy to understand.
1. I need know what to move to the SSD?
2. I believe the OS is the main thing but it is already on my hard drive, what do I do.
3. I heard something about formatting my HD, need to know what needs backing up.
4.ELI5
Any help would be great,any links will be appreciated, i just don't know what I'm looking for.
Oh and i read about clean installing my OS if that helps.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the amount of data on the HDD is less that the available room on the new SSD, you can clone the old HDD to the new SSD: http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/
(written for Win7, but should work with Win8.x too)

If you can't do that, it would be best to just start over with a clean install of Win to the SSD from your installation disks. Be sure to disconnect the data cable from the HDD before you do a clean install, so the boot sector doesn't get accidentally written to the wrong drive.

Reece Blair

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

Thanks can i still do your second option without a disk as i never used one for windows, i have the key still?

USAFRet

Titan

If you don't have the install disk, how was the OS installed the first time?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Is this a pre-built PC that came w/o an installation disk? If so, you might want to check with the PC manufacturer to see if one is available.
If not, see if this pertains to your situation. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Reece Blair

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

I did it with a flash drive, i built the PC myself but didnt get an optical drive so had to do it this way.

Reece Blair

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

I built it and used a flash drive. No optical drive

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Right. So go to that MS link, and download the ISO again.
Create another flash drive
Boot from it and Install.

Reece Blair

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

Will do, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS