MOBO: z370 Tomahawk Pro MSI
CPU: i9 9900k lowered clock speed to stable 4.7hz
Cooler: Noctua Dh-15
GPU: GTX 1050ti Gigabyte
RAM: 2x8 Vengeance 2400 and 2x4 ballistx 2400 MHz
PSU: SilentiumPC Vero L2 600w p80 bronze
Case: Lian Li Lancool Performance 2

Problem:
So recently I upgraded my PC with a new CPU and a cooler and for about a month and a week its better than ever.
But recently my PC about a week ago seemed to lose power on league and restart and then same thing happened again two more times in a row.
After this I gave up on league and just used the PC normally thought it was some driver causing the crash so I updated everything and for about i'd say 4 days all was good.
Now today I went to play a bit more and it lost power again but this time the PC will not boot and instead show a red light on the CPU ez debug.
When I press the power button everything turns on(case fans, mobo leds), my cooler fans dont spin but thats because of its silent profile since CPU isnt being pushed. But no peripherals turn on and thered a contínuos red light on my EZ debug on the CPU spot.

Summary:
PC has been working fine for a month and suddently starts losing power and now it wont POST with a red CPU light on.

Does anyone have any idea what could this possibly cause? Or what do I need to replace.
Only thing I've heard might be causing this a soon to die no voltage CMOS battery or a dying power supply. Any ideas?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Most likely power supply, being a low quality (Tier D) unit. Certainly wouldn't keep using it to power your 9900k.

Get something decent from Tier A. 650w.

afonsogt123tablet

Reputable
Dec 24, 2017
Most likely power supply, being a low quality (Tier D) unit. Certainly wouldn't keep using it to power your 9900k.

Get something decent from Tier A. 650w.

I see well when the GPU inflation ends I meant to buy a power supply to go along with it a (3060ti).

I belive ill buy the Seasonic Focus Gold GX 750w. Ill update this soon since I can pick it up fairly quick.

afonsogt123tablet

Reputable
Dec 24, 2017
Little update, I've already ordered the PSU.

I decided to try and turn on the PC and after about 3 cycles of trying to power on and then off it finally POSTED and I have been using it like normal for about an two hours (no super load so far, scared I'll lose it since I got some schoolwork to do). I cannot fanthom what in the world is going anymore..

I also only left the pc for about 8 hours disconnected from the powerline

afonsogt123tablet

Reputable
Dec 24, 2017
Light usage might be ok, even limiting power usage in Windows power management for maximum processor state to minimise strain/heat through the psu to help prolong your needs. Replace asap anyway.
I think I've figured it, after alot of googling the sysmptoms of my system I've come to my understanding that this is an issue with overcharged capacitors. Now what I don't understand where can this overcharge capacitor come from?
I still have the new PSU on the way, but I was wondering can this overcharge capacitor problems come from?

And yes for now I'll leave the pc as is with reduced maximum processor state while im waiting for the new PSU at least.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure about capacitor overloading, quite possible but im not an expert of the insides of psu's like some are here. Components and build quality affect all aspects, tolerances, reliability and efficiency. If psu can't supply a steady amount of power most of the time, when power drops a little where a quality psu will maintain output, this'll upset parts attached to it causing all sorts of spontaneous behaviors, shutdowns/restarts, hardware/driver disconnects etc.