Question 1 NVMe for OS+Software+Project files+Scratch+Media files?

Jul 22, 2019
Heya, I'm building a new PC with ITX case for video editing (Davinci Resolve) and have a slight room problem.
  1. Will there be any performance issues if I do ALL in 1 MVMe?
  2. If it has issues, will this be a good setup?:

OS+Software 500Gbs NVME
Project + Source files: 1 T SSD
Scratch + Media files: 2T HDD

its for 4K motovlogging ;)

Jul 22, 2019
So long as you don't create multiple partitions(outside of the ones created by default during OS installation) then you're good to go with installing OS on the SSD.

Mind if I ask what your proposed specs are for your build?

Thanks for (both) replies mate! I'll be using:

Case: Thermaltake G3
Components:
CPU: Ryzen 3700X
Mobo: ASUS B450i Strix
GPU: Undecided between RTX 2070 or RTX 2080ti (if I get a geat discount somewhere) or AMD 5700 (If benchmarks for Davinci are good).
RAM: TridentZ 3200Mhx but undecided between going for CL14 vs CL16 if there is any true impact.
PSU: Corsair SFX 600W
Storage: depends on the other what I decide in this thread,

Liquid cooling parts:
Radiator: Hardwarelabs LS360 (OEM)
CPU Block: Heatkiller IV Pro Niquel
Reservoir: Heatkiller IV 100 D5
GPU Block: Heatkiller IV but waiting for GPU choosing.
Fans: Noise freak: waiting for Chromax NF-A12x25 or Arctix Bionix P120 (https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/arctic_bionix_p120_review,6.html )
Tubing: EK ZMT tube (dont want plastizider nor colorants)

Final project will look like this: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/7gnH99 but without RGB

Heya, I'm building a new PC with ITX case for video editing (Davinci Resolve) and have a slight room problem.
  1. Will there be any performance issues if I do ALL in 1 MVMe?
  2. If it has issues, will this be a good setup?:
OS+Software 500Gbs NVME
Project + Source files: 1 T SSD
Scratch + Media files: 2T HDD

its for 4K motovlogging ;)

That depends what kind of video editing you do. If you are just using Handbrake, then no, it's not an issue.

HOWEVER if you choose TLC or QLC drives, then yes, video editing (ie: Premiere, Vegas) will be of issue on programs. The problem being TLC and QLC drives slow down an order of magnitude or more once their SLC cache dries up (which happens a lot on video editing of raw files)

I would find the best MLC (2 level) nand flash drive you find and RAID them. They will be significantly more expensive because they take 1.5x to 2x's the number of NAND chips.

Jul 22, 2019
Multiple drives are better than doing it all on one.

Scratch space needs to go on an SSD as well.
Hi, so it seems. Would this configuration be OK?:
OS+Software 500Gbs NVME
Project + Source files: 1 T SSD (what specs should I seek?)
Scratch + Media files: 2T HDD (3.5" size is the only room I can handle in my case)

Last edited:
Hi, so it seems. Would this configuration be OK?:
OS+Software 500Gbs NVME
Project + Source files: 1 T SSD (what specs should I seek?)
Scratch + Media files: 2T HDD (3.5" size is the only room I can handle in my case)

If you are editing audio/video files, then the scratch space only needs to be as big as your largest expected project temp files. I would also add as much memory as physically possible to avoid using the Windows pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys.

Depending on program you can specify which is your scratch drive for temporary files. Some programs will automatically use windows TEMP path or USER TEMP PATH system variables without asking. You'll need to consult your user documentation for the program in question to see what is used, or consult with the product forums as to how scratch files are handled (located) If you are lucky, you'll be able to load your projects off of some large DAS/NAS and then run the scratch file locally on some RAID array with MLC cache for the scratch work.

This is a bit of research you have to do on your own. Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't want to give specific advice without knowing the programs you use and having had personal experience with them.

*interesting sidenote: This is one reason AMD created a video card specifically dedicated for video editing. It attached fast SSD caching DIRECTLY to the video card so editing become a ton easier with large files. It removed a lot of bottlenecks found on common systems.