Question 1 of 4 RAMs not beeing detected.

cassiopei1337

Reputable
Sep 22, 2017
Greetings.
I've been overclocking my PC recently and met one weird thing: my ram was set to 3600 (xmp), but I wanted to push it higher to 4000MHz. It worked just fine (for a few weeks I think) untile today, because I noticed that windows shows 48GB instead of 64. When I put it back to xmp @ 3600 it starts showing 64GB again. My RAM is Corsair Vengeance LPX 16x4 @ 3600. CPU is 7900X if it matters (@4.8) and MoBo is Aorus Gaming 3, where I have all memory settings set as Auto (1,35v auto timings are 20 21 21 44 for 4000).
So the weird thing is that it worked fine until some moment. Any way to set it back to 64GB @ 4000?

Computer components do wear down with time, especially when pushed hard. You overclocked your RAM, it wore down - you're actually lucky it still works when underclocking it. Or maybe it's the power delivery to the RAM that got worn down.
In both cases, you could try raising voltage some more, but I strongly recommend you either replace your RAM or run it at more sensible speeds - such as original rated speeds.

Computer components do wear down with time, especially when pushed hard. You overclocked your RAM, it wore down - you're actually lucky it still works when underclocking it. Or maybe it's the power delivery to the RAM that got worn down.
In both cases, you could try raising voltage some more, but I strongly recommend you either replace your RAM or run it at more sensible speeds - such as original rated speeds.

His RAM has not "worn down" memory does not ware down more when increasing frequency. Rather, memory wares down more when overvolting. 1.35-1.4v is fine for 24/7 use. Heck even 1.5v I've seen work fine. But if you say push 1.8v for long periods of time, then your memory would ware out quickly.

But I do agree, OP you don't need 4000mhz. Just leave it at stock. Intel chips don't really improve performance with increases in frequency. Plus 3600mhz is already very fast.

If you absolutely want 4000mhz here is what you need to do:

1. UPDATE your BIOS. (Make sure it is on the latest revision, Gigabyte is known to have weird BIOS issues. So this is extremely important.)
  2. Boot into windows with 4000mhz and make sure 64GB is showing up.
  3. If so, run memtest86 & Prime95 with memory intensive config. (run p95 for at least 8 hours)
If either your 64GB of RAM isn't showing up, or you run into instability. Try increasing memory to 1.4v and increasing memory controller voltage (I do not know the safe memory controller voltages off the top of my head (for x299 chips), so google it to make sure).

Then if that works, you can try seeing if all you need is the extra voltage for the memory or the memory controller. So you aren't running unnecessary voltage into both IMC and DDR4.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, if you are running automatic timings, you NEED to make sure they are running at the same timings as the memory kit specifies. If your running auto, and say you have a 3600 18-19-19-40-1t (just making this up as an example) kit, but increase the memory to 4000mhz and leave timings on auto, the motherboard could easilly loosen those timings to say 22-23-22-45-1t. If that happens, you just lost almost all your performance going to 4000mhz. Making the entire overclocking process useless.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS