1 Office and 1 Gaming laptop on a budget

lxiooixl

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Hello,

I'm looking to find two laptops for the best value. One office laptop and one gaming laptop. They are for different people, hence I am looking for 2.

Office laptop:
1. What is your budget?
500.- CHF this is hard limit.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" or 17".

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080 or higher.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable but I am open to bulkier laptops too.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Not relevant to me.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No gaming.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Office, occasional movie, internet, very basic tasks.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
100GB or more would do.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
No.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
It will be driven into the ground :).

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None needed.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Open to any brand.

13. What country do you live in?
Switzerland

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
-

Gaming laptop:
1. What is your budget?
~$700 CAD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080 or higher.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, but will consider bulkier laptops too.

5. How much battery life do you need?
Irrelevant

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, mostly online games like World of Warcraft on at least medium, preferably high :)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Watch movies, some very basic photo editing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
120GB or more.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
No preference

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None needed.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No preference.

13. What country do you live in?
Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
-

Thank you all!
I hope I didn't forget anything .

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Gaming laptop budget is a little low. You might want to consider used. or maybe refurbished, market for a 6th-7th Gen Intel CPU, you'll want the HQ or H class CPUs i5 or i7. With a GTX1050 or something in it.

Here is a model to maybe look for: https://www.newegg.ca/p/1TS-000X-012K1

But if you toss in enough cash to get something like a GTX1660 you will have far more gaming performance.

Not really sure where to buy from in Switzerland, but for the listed use case, I would just grab any late model i3 laptop, try for an SSD rather than a hard drive. Maybe stick with Dell, HP. To get true longevity you are going to have to spend a lot more, something akin to a business laptop. 500 CHF is basically entry level consumer grade hardware only. Poor screens, cheap keyboards, and low power CPUs (generally good battery life though) Even difficult to repair since they aren't worth enough to be concerned with.

Problem with buying refurbished or used is you are cutting yourself off from longevity by default.