[SOLVED] 1 pc gets more download speed than the other?

Lozier

Commendable
Apr 11, 2019
So i have 2 computers in my house and one of them receives more download speeds than the other and i dont know why. we are both currently using powerline networks with a pass through av500 kit and both using cat 6 cables. 1 pc gets around 20mbps download while the other gets only 6.6mbps.

Solution
Powerline speeds strongly depend on the wiring. I've seen a lot of variance in speeds that all depends on the wiring, which is out of your control.

The best solution I've found (if it is not an issue with the computer) is to simply upgrade to a newer powerline technology. These have improve dramatically between generations. I actually get 4x the speed with my newest set versus my av500 ones in the exact same setup.

To eliminate the computer as the issue, boot up a linux live cd/usb and run a speed test there. If it's the same 6Mb then the computer is fine and it's the powerline. If it is a lot faster, then it could be something on windows mucking up the works.

kanewolf

Titan
So i have 2 computers in my house and one of them receives more download speeds than the other and i dont know why. we are both currently using powerline networks with a pass through av500 kit and both using cat 6 cables. 1 pc gets around 20mbps download while the other gets only 6.6mbps.
With powerline adapters in the mix it is hard to debug. Noise on the electrical circuit will impact performance. Unplugging a charger, or a clock radio could improve performance.
You need to baseline the two computers with an all ethernet cable test. Get a long cable and temporarily run it directly to the main router. Then test.

Lozier

Commendable
Apr 11, 2019
Yep, I see this on our powerline network with av500 units too. A lot of different factors and the only way to eliminate the variables is with a direct ethernet wired connection.
anyway around this? my modem is in the garage and it cant be moved, Wifi is just out of the question,

Lozier

Commendable
Apr 11, 2019
basically both my modem and router are in the garage and i cant use a straight ethernet cable. So i decided to use powerline. The problem is i have 2 pc's in the house, one pc gets more speeds than the other. the best pc gets around 20mbps+ and the worst one only get around 6.6mbps download speeds. both ping and upload speeds are the same just the download speeds are different. both pc's using a cat 5e cable, and i even tried with a cat 6 cable but still the same results.
i moved my bad pc into the room with the better pc in it and used the cable and it still gets 6.6mbps? im guessing it could be a setting in windows somewhere. both me and my brother are using the same powerline adapter. https://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/DHP-P309AV-powerline-av500-passthrough-network-starter-kit

i even updated bios and chipset and reinstalled the lan drivers for the bad pc but still 6.6mbps. both ping are around 5-8ms which is good and upload around 18-20mbps. Its only the downloads speed that are different. could it be a setting im missing that's capping the downloads speeds?

I doubt it is the PC. If you have a small switch try to connect both pc to the switch and the switch to the powerline. This is purely to make things simpler you can directly connect pc with a cable but then you must set things like ip addresses manually.

When it is this slow try a simple file copy between the pc. You should be able to see the transfer rates in the network tab of the resource monitor. Use a large file so you get better results. Try the copy in both directions. The goal here is purely to see if there really is some problem with the pc or if it is something related to the powerline networks.

I suppose you could take the pc into the garage and plug it directly into the router just as a test to see if the pc can get fast speeds that way.

The best way to test if it is the pc or not is to simply take it to the garage and hook it up directly wired to the router. If it's still 6Mbs, something probably on the PC. If it's faster, but still not up to your service speeds, still could be the PC.

Lozier

Commendable
Apr 11, 2019
The best way to test if it is the pc or not is to simply take it to the garage and hook it up directly wired to the router. If it's still 6Mbs, something probably on the PC. If it's faster, but still not up to your service speeds, still could be the PC.
ok ill try that, what if its the PC is there some sort of setting?

Lozier

Commendable
Apr 11, 2019
i have a powerline setup with 2 pc in the house. 1 pc gets around 8ping 23mbps and 20upload while the 2nd pc get arounds 8ping 6mbps and 20upload. both pc are in different rooms, i want the 2nd to match the 1st pc in terms of downloads but i have tried everything and it hasn't worked.
I have tried :
-resetting powerline network
-updating windows and drivers
and even tried doing a direct ethernet connection to the router but still 6mbps? im starting to suspect some sort of setting in my pc thats capping speeds. maybe my network adapter? it is a realtek gbe family controller. please help me in trying to achieve the same speeds as the first pc
specs :
ryzen 5 2600
rx 570
16gm ram 2400mhz
MSI B450M PRO-VDH PLUS AM4 motherboard (realtek gbe family controller)

Nov 6, 2020
Hi,

I had something similar to this happen to my computer. Now this may not help, but I thought I throw it out there anyway. Can I assume the specs above are for the computer getting the slower speed? If so I see you have an MSI motherboard, do you have Dragon Center installed? I found a little piece of software probably install by me by accident because I assumed it had something to do with the internet software, but it basically crippled my internet speed. So my older Intel computer was getting 500-600/Mbps, but my newer Ryzen Machine with an MSI X570 MEG ACE motherboard was only getting between 200-300/Mbps.

It wasn't always like that and I must have again installed this later. Anyways go into Program and Features in Windows and look for something called, "cfosspeed." Again it maybe something else, but I know once I uninstall every aspect of this software my Ryzen computer is now on par with my Intel. Oh, it mainly affected download speed and not upload, which from what I've read of your post seem pretty close.

That is extremely slow. Many times we see things like "gaming" network software installed. Still most people with problems like that still see much faster speeds than 6mpbs. Make sure none of this is installed. It generally comes bundled with the motherboard. The worst offenders are killer ethernet chipset but are ones that run on intel also.

It gets hard at this point since you have already done the easy stuff like update the drivers.

First step it to see if it is software or hardware. The simplest way to do that is to get a USB linux boot image. This is not actually installed on your system so it will not impact current windows install. If it runs fine it is likely some windows issues. Could be a windows setting or some other software. Tends to be quicker to reinstall windows for some people. Still I would not just reinstall without testing a linux boot. There is a rare chance you have something wrong with the ethernet port itself.

Lozier

Commendable
Apr 11, 2019
Hi,

I had something similar to this happen to my computer. Now this may not help, but I thought I throw it out there anyway. Can I assume the specs above are for the computer getting the slower speed? If so I see you have an MSI motherboard, do you have Dragon Center installed? I found a little piece of software probably install by me by accident because I assumed it had something to do with the internet software, but it basically crippled my internet speed. So my older Intel computer was getting 500-600/Mbps, but my newer Ryzen Machine with an MSI X570 MEG ACE motherboard was only getting between 200-300/Mbps.

It wasn't always like that and I must have again installed this later. Anyways go into Program and Features in Windows and look for something called, "cfosspeed." Again it maybe something else, but I know once I uninstall every aspect of this software my Ryzen computer is now on par with my Intel. Oh, it mainly affected download speed and not upload, which from what I've read of your post seem pretty close.
no i checked i didnt have anything related to msi or internet stuff

Powerline speeds strongly depend on the wiring. I've seen a lot of variance in speeds that all depends on the wiring, which is out of your control.

The best solution I've found (if it is not an issue with the computer) is to simply upgrade to a newer powerline technology. These have improve dramatically between generations. I actually get 4x the speed with my newest set versus my av500 ones in the exact same setup.

To eliminate the computer as the issue, boot up a linux live cd/usb and run a speed test there. If it's the same 6Mb then the computer is fine and it's the powerline. If it is a lot faster, then it could be something on windows mucking up the works.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
This is the same question you asked in THIS thread AND THIS thread. THREE threads on a single topic don't help ANYBODY. Things are proposed in one thread that are duplicated in the others. Your two previous threads will merged into this one for the benefit of all contributers.

I recommended you test with a direct ethernet connection with both PCs to eliminate the powerline. You never did that test. Without simplifying the network with a direct ethernet test, there are too many variables to debug.