1 Raptor with 2 IDE drives

clooney003

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
Guys I have a question. I have a newly installed Raptor 74GB and 2 IDE drives(1 WD80GB and 1 WD40GB). Currently on the WD80GB IDE it has an OS of XP Pro on it that I was hoping to reformat through Windows on the Raptor and use as a storage disk. My goal is to use my Raptor as my primary OS drive and the other 2 as storage but for some reason only the 40GB drive shows up as a drive along with the Raptor in the BIOS and in Windows(Raptor). How do I need to set it up to where I can see the WD80GB as well. Its just not being detected at all. I'm not real familiar with setting up multiple drives so any type of suggestion would be greatly appreciated for best performance. My mother board is an ASUS P4C800. If you need more info just ask.
Thanks.

RichPLS

Champion
If the drive in question is not showing up in bios display on post, it is not jumpered right, or bad cable or bad drive or bad controller...
Does it flash drive on post?

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

clooney003

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
Ok. i got the WD80GB to show up, now my question is, do i jump it to slave settings as I did with the WD40GB. When I did that, I went to disk management in XP Pro and the drive was not there, nor was the WD40GB. I had a Disk 0 with 7.88GB of space and then a Disk 1(Raptor)69.2GB then both of my CD roms. Should i just take out the WD80GB and wipe it then reinstall or is there something I am missing?

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
I just added a WD 74gb to my system, with a maxtor 200gb ide drive as storage space for now.
When i installed the OS i simply disconnected the ide drives completely, set up theraptor as boot and got the system working, then i reconnected my ide drive as it was before (still with the old os on it) made sure bios settings were correct (ie the computer should not be booting from the old ide drive which it did default back to) then I booted windows and formatted the drive through disc managment.
Have had no problems at all, just make sure of 2 things, that the 2 ide drives are being detected on the correct ide channels and that they are not included in the boot priority list of drives.
If you are having trouble seeing one make sure you have the jumper settings correct and the cables attached right.
Hope this helps...

clooney003

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
Ok you guys are super. I did what you suggested Diplomat and finally, I got it right. Everything is back in order now, thank you all very much.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clooney003 on 12/13/04 04:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>