1 router, 1 server, 1 switch, 5 PCs and a wireless laptop

claire arise

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
We are about to set up a small business network with the above hardware.
Can anyone advise on the best configuration?

Should it be:
Router - Server - Switch - PCs

Or

Router - Switch - Server and PCs

Do you need any specific info?

Many thanks in advance for your guidance

Solution

Then your second config would probably work best.
Routers these days are switches remember. With only 5PCs, a server and one laptop, if you buy a good enough router with 6 ethernet plugs, you should be able to bypass the switch in the first place.

If you can't find a router with about 6 or 7 ethernet ports, then you'll need to buy a switch. In that case it would be:'

router > switch > server/computers/laptop

Edit: As said it depends on what the server is for.

kanewolf

Titan
As @USAFRet says, your first configuration would be appropriate if the server were functioning as a firewall or proxy/filter. Your second configuration is more typical where the PCs and the server all have direct access to the router (and the internet). It just depends on what functions the server is supposed to have.

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Well, I wrote a post but it vanished, USA and kane are on the right track though. Personally I would avoid using the router for a switch in a business... it is just a little iffy and adds more issues to deal with. Also you should probably run dhcp and dns from your server... assuming it's your main server with AD, file and print sharing etc... which would mean disabling dhcp on the router, just remember to point the gateway in the dhcp to the router.

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
everything that plugs into the switch can talk to each other with no extra work required (2nd option), if you daisy chain systems than it's a little different. AKA, PC -> Switch -> Router -> Switch -> Server/PC or something similar to the first option. If you're not sure what you are doing I would recommend finding someone local that has previous experience to help you out.

Then router > switch > server and PCs

23r5v6c.png

^^ I must admit I am improving

TRENDING THREADS