1 SSD & 1 HDD, RAID 1 or not and why?

johnsmith3808

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
I looked up about this but I'm not sure what would be best for just 1 SSD and 1 HDD. I think RAID 0 is out of the question because I don't want to lose all the data in both the SSD and the HDD in case one fails. What benefits do I get, if any, by having 1 SSD & 1 HDD in RAID 1 (with a motherboards with its RAID controller having multiplexing) ? and how do I know if a motherboard's RAID controller uses multiplexing?

Solution
First of all it`s pretty much pointless in trying to raid a SSD drive with a Mechanical HDD in a Raid 1 array let alone anything else.

The hard drive will simply hold back the SSD drive if raided with it.
The two modes you are looking at are Striped, and mirrored.

So you will be wanting the second set up of a raid 1 array with redundancy, and fall back mode.
If the board you have does support Multiplexing of drives while a raid array is used then it is another reason why you will be far better off using two SSD drives of the same capacity for the Raid 1 array.

With two SSD drives in a Raid 1 array.

You should reach providing you have Sata 3.0 specification ports of your motherboard.
Close to 900 Mbps or more, depending on what each...
First of all it`s pretty much pointless in trying to raid a SSD drive with a Mechanical HDD in a Raid 1 array let alone anything else.

The hard drive will simply hold back the SSD drive if raided with it.
The two modes you are looking at are Striped, and mirrored.

So you will be wanting the second set up of a raid 1 array with redundancy, and fall back mode.
If the board you have does support Multiplexing of drives while a raid array is used then it is another reason why you will be far better off using two SSD drives of the same capacity for the Raid 1 array.

With two SSD drives in a Raid 1 array.

You should reach providing you have Sata 3.0 specification ports of your motherboard.
Close to 900 Mbps or more, depending on what each of the drives can do in read and write transfer speeds.

As a end result for read and write speeds.

A raid array will always be governed by the slowest drive in the array, and every other drive will have to default to it`s maximum speed the worst drive can achieve in maximum Mbps transfer rates for read and write operations.

And why you would Not be doing yourself any favours in using a SSD drive and a mechanical HDD in the array.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

1. RAID 1 = The size of the smallest drive.
So unless you have a very small HDD, or a quite large SDD, you're losing space.

2. What benefit are you looking for with this RAID 1?