1 tb hard disk showing only 4 gb space (where did my data go)

Tarun_b

Reputable
May 26, 2015
I bought a new pc, and attached my old hard disk to it .. The problem is i'm booting windows from new hard disk, but the older hard disk doesnt show any partition other thn a 3.9 gb unallocated partition. Where did my 1tb of partition go ! I cant see it.. its not there in the disk management, I cannot see it in the windows setup option as well.. Please help...it has a lot of important data.

Specs: 17 4790, asus z97 a, 16 gb ram,nvdia gtx970 card, 1tb +1tb hrd disk 16 gb ram

Solution
Welcome to the community, Tarun_b!

This is very unfortunate. :( I'd suggest you to try testing the HDD in question using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool. It will tell you what is the health and SMART status of the drive. You should refer to their website for available downloads of this particular software.
Another thing you should try is using a different SATA cable or even connecting the drive to a different port on the motherboard to see if that will make the drive appear as it should. Have you tested the HDD on another computer as well?
I'd also ask you to right-click on the drive in Disk Management and share what options to do have.

Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the community, Tarun_b!

This is very unfortunate. :( I'd suggest you to try testing the HDD in question using the manufacturer's diagnostic tool. It will tell you what is the health and SMART status of the drive. You should refer to their website for available downloads of this particular software.
Another thing you should try is using a different SATA cable or even connecting the drive to a different port on the motherboard to see if that will make the drive appear as it should. Have you tested the HDD on another computer as well?
I'd also ask you to right-click on the drive in Disk Management and share what options to do have.

Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

Tarun_b

Reputable
May 26, 2015
Ok ive got 3 hard disks.... the defected hard disk is a seagate 1 tb (It had windows 8.1 installled) , my new hard disk is another seagate 1 tb on which i've installed OS and currently in use... there is one more 320 gb hard disk...

so when i connect both 1 tb hard disks the OS which boots from the new 1tb hard disk hangs on startup i.e window log in screen.... on the bios screen the defected hard disk shows only 3.9 gb un allocated space :(

I tried installing OS on the 320 gb and connected the defected hard disk during the same.... (and removed the new 1tb hrd disk) after installation.... the defected hard disk appears only on the computer management's storage section as an uninitialized disk of 3.9 gb

I havnet used any third party software yet !

Well, test the drive using your HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool then. This is the best way to determine what kind of damage we are dealing with here. Basically the SMART results will tell you if there are any bad/corrupted sectors that are likely to cause this lagging on boot. However, I fear that the damage might be physical. Does the drive cause similar freezing/lagging in the other computer as well?

Anyhow, before attempting any data recovery using third-party utilities, you should keep in mind that it's not certain if you'd be able to retrieve all of your data. Please, make sure you run the diagnostic tests first.

SuperSoph_WD

Tarun_b

Reputable
May 26, 2015
Yes there is a lagging ... when the 320 hrd disk and defected 1 tb were connected ...there was lag !

I'll run the diagnostic tool now.....will keep you posted.

TRENDING THREADS