1 TB Hard Drive but only 100 GB C Drive?

elmaxo123

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
Hello!

Last week, on my birthday, I received a new gaming laptop. So for the first day I didn't do much with it, just installed Windows 10, Steam and Team Fortress 2. I played for an hour or so that night. The next day It thought I should start downloading all my games like; CS:GO, Borderlands 2, Saints Row IV etc. I downloaded around five games and then I went to download Pay Day 2.

It said I didn't have enough disk space which I thought must have been an error because surely four or five games would not take up 1 TB of space. So I checked my C Drive and was shocked when I saw that its space was only 100 GB, 30 of which had already been taken up.

In the option 'This PC' where the C Drive is located there is also another drive called the D Drive which has 127 GB of space in it and only a few hundred MB being used in it. I went through some tutorials about partitions but nothing has really worked.

Apparently the C and D Drive are based off my Solid State Drive (SSD) which has 252 GB of space. Is there away I can increase my C Drive by any means? Can I switch it to my Hard Drive (1 TB) rather than my SSD?

I'm honestly willing to do anything to increase my size, whether it be through money or time. Currently, I have every game un-installed except Just Cause 3 which takes up around 51 GB!

I'm really desperate to play some other games besides Just Cause 3. If no help is found, I may just have to get the IT Department at my school to check it out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Solution
Personaly ..

1. Create a backup of the system recovery disks.
2. Download an ISO of your version of Windows 10 and put it on a 8GB USB stick along with all your drivers.
3. Take note of your licence key embedded in BIOS, using

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7745-product-key-view-windows-10-a.html

4. Reinstall from USB, zapping any all existing partitions.
5. Activate using your key, from step 3.
6. Install drivers.
7. Install games and be happy !

One your happy put recovery disk away for when you flog laptop off or need a coffee toaster !
well, disk management, inside administrative tools, computer management should show whole disk.
Besides the possibility of possibly resizing partitions in there, you have option of deleting D, and recreating it as 900GB partition (all the rest of disk besides C)
Alternate means include googling for partition resizing software, they exist but I've not used any so I cannot recommend any on the fly.

and last means to do it is.. format/delete it all and reinstall whole windows and create partitions on whatever size you want.

Edit:
If it was me, I would likely just use SSD as C drive, sized at that 252GB or so and then use D as the normal hard disk.
Yes, it would cause load times to be a bit longer but... you could also install some games that suffer from it a lot to C instead. (steam supports installing games to different drives/folders)

Also, it seems the laptop has TWO disks, one SSD and one HDD (1TB) combining both in same partition isn't feasible choice so you would either end up with C (ssd) and D (HDD) or C+D (ssd) and E (HDD) or someting similar

XistenZ

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Just to be clear, the laptop have a 250GB SSD and a 1TB drive, you're certain about that?

You can merge the two partitions of the SSD into one larger partition, I recommend using Partition Wizard for that.
Using said software you should be able to initialize the 1TB harddrive (I'm assuming you can't see or use it yet), which would make it usable for you.

I also recommend to not use the SSD for anything except the operating system, and maybe a few favourite programs and games that would run slightlty faster on it.

Run it again and go to options / advanced untick the 2nd option.

Then go to ccleaner / windows. Tick windows logs / windows error reporting / windows event logs and old prefetch data.

Then application, Untick MS search down the bottom. having it ticked creates an error in event viewer.

You can untick them after

XistenZ

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014

elmaxo123

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
I'm a complete idiot. For the past three months I've been looking for a suitable laptop and I found a different one that had 250 GB of SSD. I must have thought I got that one. Jeez, that is a real eye opener mate cheers for the help.

Their outlet is only a 15 minute drive away, so I can bring the issue up if needed.

XistenZ

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014

Alrighty then, we can safely say you "only" have 256GB :) either reinstall it using a medium other than the built-in recovery partition so that you can choose the partitioning yourself, or use other software to merge partitions as previously stated.

elmaxo123

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

Wait, hold up. Is it possible for a laptop to run without a hard drive, but only with SSD? I'm checking the specs and it does not mention a 1 TB hard drive. That is why it doesn't appear on my partitions or anything?

XistenZ

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014

Correct, this laptop should only come with a 256GB SSD harddrive, no 1TB, that was the first one you linked, which in turn did not have an SSD :)
A computer runs perfectly fine with only an SSD, however they tend to be rather small so a regular (and larger) harddrive is recommended for actual storage.
Conclusion: SSD = blazing fast but small, HDD = "slow" but larger.

I don't think this model have room for an extra HDD (sometimes bigger 17+" laptops do), if you're keeping this one and you think that you need more storage, get an external harddrive with USB 3 support, it's absolutely not optimal but you should be able to run games off it fairly well.

Personaly ..

1. Create a backup of the system recovery disks.
2. Download an ISO of your version of Windows 10 and put it on a 8GB USB stick along with all your drivers.
3. Take note of your licence key embedded in BIOS, using

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7745-product-key-view-windows-10-a.html

4. Reinstall from USB, zapping any all existing partitions.
5. Activate using your key, from step 3.
6. Install drivers.
7. Install games and be happy !

One your happy put recovery disk away for when you flog laptop off or need a coffee toaster !

Solution