Question 1 week old Build won't boot - DRAM led

Mar 25, 2019
My new build has stopped booting all of a sudden. It has worked tremendously well up until today, where it has stopped working. Last I was aware of it working, it was installing a game last night while I was out of the room. I assume it then just powered down.

However, somewhere along the line it's gone wrong.

My DRAM Led is solid, but occasionally very briefly flashes to cpu led. I've read elsewhere this is the computer trying to boot. Eventually, if I leave it on, it stops trying and it's just a solid dram led.

Since it was already working, I've done most of the things listed in the sticky for newbuilds that don't post. Other solutions attempted include:

1. Re arranging all ram modules in all possible configurations
  2. Checking power connections throughout board
  3. Clearing CMOS (battery method and pins)
  4. Leaving it to see if it boots (maybe 15 mins max)
  5. Re seating graphics card
Things that bother me about my build, but I'm not sure if they are the cause:

a. I've never installed a CPU or cooler before, and I worried that the radiator was upside down for my Corsair h60 (tubes going down) but my cpu temps at idle were in the low 30s. No overclocking on it. Hopefully this isn't the issue...?!
b. 8 pin 12v connector for CPU cable is stretched pretty tight to reach, and bent around to connect. But it worked for a week so...?!
c. I had to use xmp in bios to get full speed ram. This all seemed to work fine after I did this. Have tried to flash CMOS since anyway
d. Psu is a couple of years old and has laid dormant for a while. Coupled with the stretch to 12v connection I wonder if it's a bit pants, but I don't really have the money to buy a new one just to test if it's the issue. That and HDD and ssd are recycled from old rig, the rest is brand new.
e. Not all pre installed mobo standoffs lined up, so couple of holes unavoidably have no screw

Anyway, spec

B450 aorus elite
Ryzen 5 2600
Corsair vengeance 2 x 8gb DDR4 3000mhz
Zotac geforce gtx 1660
PSU Corsair vs550

I've not breadboxed it yet or had a look at the cpu, I'm hoping I'm missing the obvious since it was a seemingly very happy computer 24 hours ago...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019
Update: I've just bread boarded the pc. Same error. Not sure whether to blame the ram or mobo in terms of returning them. Thoughts?

I don't have any spare ddr4 sticks to test

Mar 25, 2019
In case anyone was wondering, or stumbles across this in the future, I returned the Mobo and got an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon. Everything fine again - for now!