[SOLVED] 1 Year Old Laptop Thermal Throttling

FreakenEpic

Honorable
Apr 18, 2017
Hi, my relatively new laptop is thermal throttling. It is a Lenovo Legion Y545 and I recently started noticing fps drops in games so I started looking into my CPU temps. They were around 70C at around idle but when I launched anything demanding it would go to about 90 maximum and stabilized at 85. So I thought whatever until thermal throttling actually was registering on aida64 ( i started using it to monitor temps as msi afterburner doesn't show thermal throttling). I thought of everything and nothing makes sense in terms of why it would start thermal throttling, I haven't tried anything yet because I first wanna figure out if its an issue that is unrelated to opening the laptop up.
Specs:
I7-9750H
GTX 1660 TI
16gbs of ram
Here is a pic of the cpu thermal throttling while placing Hardspace: Shipbreaker(other games such as r6 also have fps drops but im not sure about the thermal throttling):

Solution
The issue is that you need to blow it out, buy a can of compressed air. Ultimately those fans and heatsink get lint and other particles stuck to them. You have a relatively high end video card for a small form factor 1 year of junk adds up.

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
Have you ever blown the dust out of the laptop? dust is usually the cause of overheating especially in laptops because the heatsink is so small and dust can very easily get stuck in them. Also, what surface do you use this on? (flat hard surface like a table, blanket, bed, etc..)

Reactions: spentshells

FreakenEpic

Honorable
Apr 18, 2017
Have you ever blown the dust out of the laptop? dust is usually the cause of overheating especially in laptops because the heatsink is so small and dust can very easily get stuck in them. Also, what surface do you use this on? (flat hard surface like a table, blanket, bed, etc..)
I have thought of that but considering I primarily use it on flat hard surfaces and if I cant be on one i try to keep it above the surface so that minimal dust gets in, I don't think i need to. Also the vents collect most of the dust and when I do check them they usually don't have much dust so I don't bother to clean them(the vents do not have even close enough dust on them to cause any air flow restrictions).

Tfo052

Reputable
Dec 23, 2016
The next option is probably to repaste the gpu and cpu with new thermal paste but I have done some research on this model and it appears this model just doesn't have good cooling. Have you done any bios updates recently as it appears sometimes that changes the fan and makes the laptop run hotter. If none of this fixes the overheating, It is possible to disable cpu turbo which would reduce fps but is definitely better than thermal throttling as that can damage the chip and makes it run slower anyways

FreakenEpic

Honorable
Apr 18, 2017
The next option is probably to repaste the gpu and cpu with new thermal paste but I have done some research on this model and it appears this model just doesn't have good cooling. Have you done any bios updates recently as it appears sometimes that changes the fan and makes the laptop run hotter. If none of this fixes the overheating, It is possible to disable cpu turbo which would reduce fps but is definitely better than thermal throttling as that can damage the chip and makes it run slower anyways
Thank you for the ideas, I never thought about bios being the issue as I have never updated it. Could be windows that auto updated it lmao. I'll look into everything you said and mark your comment if it solves my problem!