News 10,000 RPM VelociRaptor Hard Drive Still Relevant with $45 Deal

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
15K hard drives are not made anymore because they break down too easily.

I bought one of those SCSI 15K drives, it was an easily way to turn your PC case into an easy bake oven. I wonder if that had anything to do with them breaking down.

This article actually makes me want to buy a 1TB velociraptor but i am sure i could get a SATA SSD 1TB for cheap which is still a better deal even if it is $95.

InvalidError

Titan
I bought one of those SCSI 15K drives, it was an easily way to turn your PC case into an easy bake oven. I wonder if that had anything to do with them breaking down.
Not many mechanical contraptions will last long at 15k RPM without hydrodynamic bearings, bearing oil cooling and filtering, especially when tolerances are nanometer-scale.

InvalidError

Titan
What about Mag Lev bearings?
You need space to cram all of those extra magnets in and the extra shielding necessary to prevent them from wiping the HDD, doubt it is feasible on 2.5".

Another problem is that magnetic levitation is springy, there is no hard mechanical coupling between the HDD housing and platter. If you bump the housing, the heads which are screwed into the housing will crash into the magnetically suspended platters.

InvalidError

Titan
So how did they make the old 15K RPM HDD's reliable?
Expensive high-precision machining using expensive materials that no longer make sense even in the enterprise market due to the low cost and much higher performance of similar size modern SSDs.

What you are asking for is basically like reviving internal combustion engines five years after EVs beat ICE on range, refill time, reliability, price and charging stations have become available practically everywhere. To most people, it makes absolutely no sense at a time where conventional gas stations are going extinct.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
So how did they make the old 15K RPM HDD's reliable?

15k rpm are not reliable. In my company we have several 15k drives which die all the time and we have to get it replaced. As for this 1tb 10k drive, it is just not worth it because it is too old and many of the newer 7200 rpm drives would have similar performance. Heck any cheap ssd would be better than this.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
What you are asking for is basically like reviving internal combustion engines five years after EVs beat ICE on range, refill time, reliability, price and charging stations have become available practically everywhere. To most people, it makes absolutely no sense at a time where conventional gas stations are going extinct.
We're not quite there yet.

15k rpm are not reliable. In my company we have several 15k drives which die all the time and we have to get it replaced. As for this 1tb 10k drive, it is just not worth it because it is too old and many of the newer 7200 rpm drives would have similar performance. Heck any cheap ssd would be better than this.
=(
No love for high performance Spinning Magnetic Platters.