10/100 Mbps vs Gigabit Ethernet (Home use)

FreeRunEggs

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014
I have a specific question in relation to this topic

Will I notice any WIRED speed increase if I buy a new Gigabit router for streaming Netflix? I currently use a Linksys WRT54G v8 router that I purchased in 2007. It works well in my condo and range isn't an issue. I am considering buying a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 as it's currently on sale for $159.99 Canadian which is a great price. My question is simple.... Will I notice any internet speed increases? I understand that the main benefit for Gigabit speeds is in relation to file sharing, HD movie streaming from PC to PC/TV etc.. However I just want to know if replacing my WRT54G will yield any benefits simply in relation to the newer technology, faster internal hardware etc.

Obviously the jump from wireless G to N and AC will be great but my main concern is for streaming WIRED HD Netflix and multitasking. For example if my wife is watching Netflix (through PS3 WIRED Cat6 direct to router) then I notice slowness on my main PC (WIRED Cat6 direct to router).

Notes.... My current internet plan is 25Mbps.

Thanks for any feedback!

Solution

If you currently have a 25Mbps connection...

FreeRunEggs

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014

Thanks for the feedback.
I guess I was more thinking that the new Nighthawk router would be more efficient at managing bandwidth. For example when the wife is watching HD Netflix hopefully it would save some bandwidth for my PC as well.

In regards to the $160 price that is a decent price for a higher end AC router. I currently don't have any AC devices but I want my new router to be "future proof" so I wouldn't bother with an N router in 2014.

USAFRet

Titan

If you currently have a 25Mbps connection, there should be zero contention between a couple of PC's, Netflix + whatever.

A newer router may have QoS functions, but with that download speed and only a couple of devices, it really shouldn't be needed.

Now...if you were in a house with 8 people and 20+ devices...then you'd have issues.

Solution

FreeRunEggs

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014

As a test I bypassed my router completely and ran a speedtest while directly connected to my cable modem. I got the exact same results (25Mbps download and 2.5 Mbps upload) whether I used the router or not.
I'm also currently downloading Assassins Creed 4 and it's proceeding at 3.2 MB/s and my task manager (under Networking tab) shows my "Network Utilization" at 29.10% so my 100Mbps router is definitely more than enough.

Thanks for the feedback. I just saved myself $160.

UPDATE - August 28, 2014
I bought a Linksys AC1750 (EA6500 v2) router on sale for $90 from a Staples that was closing and had clearance pricing. As determined above my wired internet connection is the same. Transferring files within my network is faster but I don't do that often so it doesn't matter. Overall my wireless internet is faster (especially on the wifes macbook pro) but overall I really don't see much of an improvement.

I think the moral of this story is simple. If it isn't broken then don't fix it!!

boobootaa

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014

Thanks for updating your experience. I was thinking about upgrading my 10/100 router to a new 10/100/1000. And like you, I am not using file transferring inside my network. So based on your real test, I am not going to do it. ... Thanks a bunch!