10 core engineering sample

Donniepool

Honorable
Mar 25, 2014
I somehow ended up with an engineering sample from intel. The question is, what should I do with it? I indentified it as the Xeon E5 2658 v2. It's an impressive CPU. And I wanted to sell it but did some research about engineering samples. Heard they often have special overclock abilities so might switch it out with the one I have now. An 8 core E5 2680. Any thoughts on this?

Solution
In addition to being intel's intellectual property there's also no guarantees and no way to really help if it doesn't work properly. It may have 'special abilities', it may also bsod or perform poorly or only successfully run on 6 of the 8 cores. Meaning it could be as good as stock or it could just as easily be flawed. If it were a retail cpu and you had issues people could offer help understanding what the chip should be capable of. With an ES it's a roll of the dice and all bets are off. No way to discern if issues are due to software, motherboard or just a bunk chip that will never be right.

USAFRet

Titan

Engineering samples are and remain the property of Intel, however you obtained it.

In addition to being intel's intellectual property there's also no guarantees and no way to really help if it doesn't work properly. It may have 'special abilities', it may also bsod or perform poorly or only successfully run on 6 of the 8 cores. Meaning it could be as good as stock or it could just as easily be flawed. If it were a retail cpu and you had issues people could offer help understanding what the chip should be capable of. With an ES it's a roll of the dice and all bets are off. No way to discern if issues are due to software, motherboard or just a bunk chip that will never be right.

Solution