10 days old GTX970 artifacts!!? (Screenshot)

2JZGTE

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Just built my rig 10 days ago and everything has been going smoothly, except i just encountered this (look at the white background and the start menu... especially the weather tile) :

5378yg.png

It started while playing Rainbow 6 Siege.
I'm a total noob at this, but I immediately closed the game and launched Hwinfo, temperatures at idle were around 40
CPU was also idling at 40's. Everything is stock, nothing is overclocked)

Build :
MSI Z97S Krait
i5-4690k (stock speed)
ASUS GTX970 Strix
4x4gb HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 Mhz
EVGA 750G2
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD + 1TB Seagate HDD

Could it be anything other than the GPU? Is the GPU dead?
HELP!

Edit : submitted a request to ASUS support... hopefully they're not closed during the holidays.

2JZGTE

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
No, but I can control cpu clock (and fan speed) and case fan speeds, which I left all at default. I increased case fan and cpu fan from idle to full speed just to check how much noise they produced, but I returned everything to automatic after that. I didn't touch cpu overclock.

If this continues after restarting your PC reinstall the graphics drivers. Also seeing as you're using Windows 10, has it downloaded any updates before this happened? It's a new OS so if it installed an update soon before this happened it may very well be the culprit.

2JZGTE

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Mr Kagouris, no it hasn't installed any updates
Here are screenshots of gpu-z (as well as artifacts in the background)
I also just updated the drivers to 361.43, the version released just today, and I restarted the system. It didn't do anything.

2d9y4nl.png

s1t2lg.png

Well looks like you got a defective card that somehow lasted 10 days without showing problems.

right now i'm suspecting the gpu VRAM goes bad. but such artifact can also happen when the memory get overclocked too high (past stable overclock). when i still got my 960 there is once where updating my drivers actually messing up my RAM clock setting. i don't know how it really happen but once the new driver up and running my memory clock slider (MSI AB) being push to the max upon reboot causing artifact and lead to driver crashing. first i did not know what actually causing the problem, only thinking the new driver was problematic. it took me quite sometime to remember (after doing several clean driver install using DDU between two set of driver) that such artifact also happen when memory being push too far. so i just reset MSI AB setting to solve the problem. although i did end up uninstalling the driver because that drivers also have other issues that not present on the previous one.

2JZGTE

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Well, lucky me, I cut out the sku to send it for mail in rebate :(... I'm hoping the guys at canada computers will understand. RMAing a card during the holidays is going to be a PITA

2JZGTE

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Thanks Mr Kagouris.

Update : Didn't get the chance to send the GPU yet, but I'm noticing the artefacting is happening much less than before. I'm worried they won't be able to reproduce the problem and just send it back to me. Is it possible?

Keep taking screenshots with Windows Device Manager or something open so the artifacting is visible along with the model of your GPU.