Question 10 degree increase..

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
I have an oldish desk top which l treat like my old 4 wheel rides, it actually works great, except my latest CPU change has upped the temp by 10 degrees in all cores. The PC has a Boistar G41D3+ board with 8GB RAM, the old CPU was an Intel Q9400/95w, this kept good temperatures after a lot of fan experimenting, core temps were in the 30/40's rarely in the 50's
I replaced the CPU with a Xeon E5450/80w, everything else is the same, but now the temps are 10 degrees higher on all cores, so I am a bit baffled as to the CPU using less wattage but running a lot hotter.
Some info pointing me in the right direction would be great.

PS. The desk top case is a large Coolman from tsunami, it has 3 x 140cc fans at the front pulling air out and 2x140cc fans on the top pulling air out, a tsunami cooling tower with 2x 140cc fans clamped to it drawing air in through the top of the back panel. The NUBWO 550w power supply has it's own 120cc fan blowing air out of the lower back panel. The air coming out of the case feels cool......😪

Power consumption is not necessarily directly related to heat transferred to the cooling system.
The processor could simply be worse at getting heat through the IHS, it could have too much or too little thermal paste, or it could just be variation in the design of both processors.
Honestly, the temps you are seeing should not be all that concerning.

Reactions: Transam4558

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
Power consumption is not necessarily directly related to heat transferred to the cooling system.
The processor could simply be worse at getting heat through the IHS, it could have too much or too little thermal paste, or it could just be variation in the design of both processors.
This morning I pulled the PC apart to try a different thermal paste, it made no difference. Thanks for quick reply/ info...(y)

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
I forgot to mention the reason for my question here was that the Q9400 has an advertised max temp of 71.4, the E5450 is 67, so I thought it would be running cooler and not 10* higher..

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
An update, yesterday turned the PC on, fans started but it would not boot, fiddled around with wiring nothing. The fans are not fed from the board, 12v direct from the PSU. Took the whole thing apart, cleaned the CPU again, did away with some PSU wiring. Opened up the PSU to see if anything was going on there, dust and fluff but no burn marks or smell, solders looked good. Lastly, I put the old SATA cables back on, just in case a new one was faulty.

Re-assembled the PC and pressed the on button, success.....:p......As for the temp, whilst typing here, it is now floating in the mid 50's, so l think l can stop worrying about it, oh, and the Xeon E5450 lga771 fitted in my lga775 works great....(y)