[SOLVED] 10+ false drive icons (BD-ROM) showing up after a HDD w/ win7 was plugged into it

snox__

Reputable
Sep 16, 2016
Hey gang! A friend of mine was trying to take data off of an old HDD with win7 on it and plugged it into his win10 computer via a SATA to USB adapter. The problem is there are 10+ fake drive icons showing up after his optical drive after he plugged this drive in and even after he powered down for a few minutes. They all are labeled BD-ROM Drives as you can see in the pic (URL) and then fill out what is left of the alphabet to Z. Is there any way to make these icons go away? This is beyond me (without doing a full reinstall) so I am here. Please and thank you!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uuWCJW7Lrsb_O9Sw9SUQ_dZCr8xtLYip

Solution
Hello

Can you please check if there is any virtual drive program like Daemon Tools or Virtual CD is installed on the PC? If so, uninstalling it might help.

If no such tool is installed, to remove the icons manually, you can go to Disk Management, right-click a false icon, go to Change Driver Letter and Paths, and click Remove in the box that opens up.

You may need to do this for all the icons individually.

Once all the icons are gone, please do not forget to scan your PC for any viruses or malware.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!
Hello

Can you please check if there is any virtual drive program like Daemon Tools or Virtual CD is installed on the PC? If so, uninstalling it might help.

If no such tool is installed, to remove the icons manually, you can go to Disk Management, right-click a false icon, go to Change Driver Letter and Paths, and click Remove in the box that opens up.

Once all the icons are gone, please do not forget to scan your PC for any viruses or malware.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Reactions: snox__
Solution

snox__

Reputable
Sep 16, 2016
Hello

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!
This was my actual fix. When we did a OS reinstall my mate used the CD that comes with the mobo to install drivers, like a dumb dumb, which caused this issue. Thank you so much for your help