10 free PC games you can download

Toby

On 2005-08-28, Groo the Wanderer <jp2@vatican.com> wrote:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6464_7-6300449-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd

Cool. Anyone know what Hidden and Dangerous is like over the internet?
Can I play it co-op with a mate?

I've been looking for something Rainbow-Sixey Co-opey Shootey.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:54:55 +0100, Toby <google@asktoby.com> wrote:

>On 2005-08-28, Groo the Wanderer <jp2@vatican.com> wrote:
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6464_7-6300449-1.html?tag=cnetfd.sd
>
>Cool. Anyone know what Hidden and Dangerous is like over the internet?

FYI, Max difficulty is normal. There's a bug on hard where enemies fire 30
bullets in one frame. Other than that, the game is playable.

>Can I play it co-op with a mate?

You can with up to four players - I'd recommend LAN play only as it's too
difficult to coordinate over the Internet. Also, be propared to switch out
to the map occasionally - some maps require this sort of activity.

>I've been looking for something Rainbow-Sixey Co-opey Shootey.

Close enough - you get insta-killed just as quickly. :)

x-no-archive: yes

Groo the Wanderer wrote:

<snip>

these are FREE now but at the time of release someone needed
to PAY for them so all the hard workind developers could feed
they family and children
you agree developers should have enough income to feed they
own family don't you mister wanderer which has now a obvious
mission to try and do propaganda to online delivery systems
in this group

so the majority of us doesn't need to download any of these
pc games cause at the time of release we bought them and we
now OWN a PAYED COMMERCIAL retail box of these games

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> Groo the Wanderer wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> these are FREE now but at the time of release someone needed
> to PAY for them so all the hard workind developers could feed
> they family and children
> you agree developers should have enough income to feed they
> own family don't you mister wanderer which has now a obvious
> mission to try and do propaganda to online delivery systems
> in this group
>
> so the majority of us doesn't need to download any of these
> pc games cause at the time of release we bought them and we
> now OWN a PAYED COMMERCIAL retail box of these games
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to sanity and ponctuation

Wow, that guy rejected both reality and personnal hygiene.

On 28 Aug 2005 22:22:48 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>these are FREE now but at the time of release someone needed
>to PAY for them so all the hard workind developers could feed
>they family and children

All except for America's Army: Special Forces and Return to Castle
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, since they were never retail titles; you
may as well throw in The Zork Trilogy for me, since I didn't even own
a home computer until after Activision bought Infocom (and I'm happy
to say it wasn't a PC clone).

When BattleCruiser came out, it was all but unplayable; for many
people, it WAS unplayable due to random crashes and serious bugs. In
addition, the developer is a complete dick and I wouldn't bother to
piss on him if he was on fire much less buy something that would put
money in his pocket.

You may as well throw in Marathon 1 and 3, since they were Mac ONLY
titles. Wouldn't have done PC supporters much good to have purchased
them.

>so the majority of us doesn't need to download any of these
>pc games cause at the time of release we bought them and we
>now OWN a PAYED COMMERCIAL retail box of these games

So how many of the 10 titles did you buy and which ones?

x-no-archive: yes

Johnny Bravo wrote:

<snip the usual from this poster trying to make things personal>

that's not the point
and don't try again to make this personal
this has nothing to do with me
you in the past tried to make a personal vendetta against
me in this group and fortunately you stoped so don't even
think you can start it again!

the issue here is clear
with a few exceptions of games being total failures or some
not having commercial releases why are those games released
for free?
they are released for free cause the pc game industry is
simply doing it all wrong!

you know movies like "casablanca" and "citizen kane"?
both are classic movies with more than 50 years old
and are you able to watch them for "free"?
obviously not!
there are both commercial products that must be payed to
be enjoyed
so why do we have to pay to see 50 year old movies but we
can get for free 5 year old games
that's wrong
and what is wrong is not we having to pay to see 50 year
old movies but rather NOT PAYING to play 5 year old games
the movie industry is doing things right and the pc game
industry is doing things wrong!

the pc game industry is falling to protect the so needed
profits
the pc game industry has to fully utilize all investment
they make which includes still selling old games just like
the movie industry does with older movies

movie back catalogs are worth millions so why doesn't the
pc game industry try doing the same

no commercial game even with more than 10 years old should
be made free
the pc game industry needs profits to survive so they can
not throw away any opportunity to get income

its with the money they get from past and current games
that the industry can FINANCE future games
without profits future pc games will stop being made

its unbelievable the lack of policy pc game publishers have
toward re-releases in this industry
its insane seeing old classics but still modern and up to
date games like "system shock 2" not having a re-release
and no longer being sold
and "system shock 2" is not the only example cause there
are lots of other pc game titles suffering from exactly the
same problem
and this is bad policy
the pc game industry must fully utilize all available back
catalog of pc game classics to get the so needed income to
be profitable
without profits we will stop having pc games

i can give you at least a list of a dozen good pc game titles
released no longer than 3 years ago which now i can not get
in any retail store
and no i checked its not cause of retail stores not having
them, its simply cause publishers stop manufacturing those
titles
and please don't talk to me about ebay or second hand market
cause i want to see those games sold NEW in a RETAIL store

the pc game industry is losing profits with these mistakes

pc game sales are dropping so everything has to be done to
not let the pc game industry stop being profitable
cause if it stops being profitable it will DIE and we will
stop having this hobby to give us joy and entertainment

we pc gamer have to protect profits in pc games
protecting profits means fighting against piracy and also
promoting more people coming to pc games and buying more
pc games including older classic titles

advertising free games and trade sites doesn't help at all
pc games in a moments of problems with sales and profits
going down

helping pc games is writing in this group about old titles
which still can be bought and recommend them for new gamers
to purchase and play

pc gamers have to stop being childish and IRRESPONSIBLE
pc gamers have to face their own actions
if pc gamers don't PAY to PLAY then new games will stop being
made

playing pc games for free is the last thing a true pc gamer
would wish for right now cause he knows very well its his own
RESPONSIBILITY to finance them
currently playing pc games for free is running away from this
responsibility

every single post that i read in this group i try to go way
beyond what is the initial information trying to be sent and
bring dept into the discussion specially if there are issues
vital for pc games
that's what i did with this
i brought dept to a plain post informing about a website with
free games turning it into a major discussion about pc game
financing and re-release policy
its this kind of details that make some shine above the rest

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:25:42 GMT, Johnny Bravo
<baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 28 Aug 2005 22:22:48 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>these are FREE now but at the time of release someone needed
>>to PAY for them so all the hard workind developers could feed
>>they family and children
>
> All except for America's Army: Special Forces and Return to Castle
>Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, since they were never retail titles; you
>may as well throw in The Zork Trilogy for me, since I didn't even own
>a home computer until after Activision bought Infocom (and I'm happy
>to say it wasn't a PC clone).
>
> When BattleCruiser came out, it was all but unplayable; for many
>people, it WAS unplayable due to random crashes and serious bugs. In
>addition, the developer is a complete dick and I wouldn't bother to
>piss on him if he was on fire much less buy something that would put
>money in his pocket.
>
> You may as well throw in Marathon 1 and 3, since they were Mac ONLY
>titles. Wouldn't have done PC supporters much good to have purchased
>them.
>
>>so the majority of us doesn't need to download any of these
>>pc games cause at the time of release we bought them and we
>>now OWN a PAYED COMMERCIAL retail box of these games
>
> So how many of the 10 titles did you buy and which ones?

Marathon 2 definitely came out on the PC - i should know, cause i own
a copy

toadie

> Johnny Bravo wrote:
>
> <snip the usual from this poster trying to make things personal>

<snip the usual tripe from an annoying arsehole ducking a simple question
AGAIN>

Could you not have just answered his question? No one is going to read all
that shite you've just spouted, except for people who are going to pull your
post to bits.

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:03:51 GMT, toadie05@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:25:42 GMT, Johnny Bravo
><baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On 28 Aug 2005 22:22:48 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>these are FREE now but at the time of release someone needed
>>>to PAY for them so all the hard workind developers could feed
>>>they family and children
>>
>> All except for America's Army: Special Forces and Return to Castle
>>Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, since they were never retail titles; you
>>may as well throw in The Zork Trilogy for me, since I didn't even own
>>a home computer until after Activision bought Infocom (and I'm happy
>>to say it wasn't a PC clone).
>>
>> When BattleCruiser came out, it was all but unplayable; for many
>>people, it WAS unplayable due to random crashes and serious bugs. In
>>addition, the developer is a complete dick and I wouldn't bother to
>>piss on him if he was on fire much less buy something that would put
>>money in his pocket.
>>
>> You may as well throw in Marathon 1 and 3, since they were Mac ONLY
>>titles. Wouldn't have done PC supporters much good to have purchased
>>them.
>>
>>>so the majority of us doesn't need to download any of these
>>>pc games cause at the time of release we bought them and we
>>>now OWN a PAYED COMMERCIAL retail box of these games
>>
>> So how many of the 10 titles did you buy and which ones?
>
>Marathon 2 definitely came out on the PC - i should know, cause i own
>a copy

I know that, that's why I said 1 and 3.

On 29 Aug 2005 21:54:02 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>i can give you at least a list of a dozen good pc game titles
>released no longer than 3 years ago which now i can not get
>in any retail store

Do it. List them now.

x-no-archive: yes

Johnny Bravo wrote:

> Do it. List them now.

no way will i disclose them to you
you know what would you do?
obviously you would tell me every single game i list is
available in stock in every single retail store you go
so no matter what, you will always deny me

i say piracy is a big problem in pc games
you say piracy is almost none existent in pc games

i say profits and sales are down in pc games
you say sales and profits are breaking records in pc games

i say unfair competition from consoles damage pc games
you say consoles are totally harmless to pc games

i say steam cannot be used by every pc gamer
you say steam is perfect and every pc gamer must use it

you will always deny me so i will not fall into your trap

what is the important issue in this thread?
simply that pc games have a bad policy with re-releases of
older titles and that its difficult to find many good games
with more than 2/3 years old and retailers do have limited
shelve space for pc games so older titles are sacrificed
and the solution for this?
like i told in my previous post for me the solution is to
create dedicated specialized pc game only retail stores

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

"Johnny Bravo" <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<snip>

>>and what is wrong is not we having to pay to see 50 year
>>old movies but rather NOT PAYING to play 5 year old games
>
> Really? You might want to call up NBC, ABC and CBS and tell them
> I'm not paying for the movies I watch.

Actually you and I and the rest of the public do pay, whether we watched
their programs or not. TV is for commericals. (excluding HBO/Show and PBS
type channels) And everytime someone buys product X, part of the $ goes to
the companys ad campaign.

I didn't watch any TV this week. Still when I bought milk from the store
part of the $ goes to Cal Ripken Jr. Even though he made millions off of
baseball, and I'm not a big fan of his, and never turned on the boob tube.

Its been awhile, but I seem to recall that 25% of the cost of buying a six
pack of Miller beer went to the ads on TV. :(

BTW good post Johnny, even though you're preaching on deaf ears.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 05:03:10 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs>
wrote:

>Actually you and I and the rest of the public do pay, whether we watched
>their programs or not. TV is for commericals. (excluding HBO/Show and PBS
>type channels) And everytime someone buys product X, part of the $ goes to
>the companys ad campaign.

But if I do not buy product X, I am not paying for that movie. I
can't even remember the last time I bought a product due to paid
advertising. Advertising is an attempt to part me from my money based
on the say so of those with the product, hardly the most unbiased
source of information.

>I didn't watch any TV this week. Still when I bought milk from the store
>part of the $ goes to Cal Ripken Jr. Even though he made millions off of
>baseball, and I'm not a big fan of his, and never turned on the boob tube.

Yes, but you're not paying full price to the owner of that movie for
watching it. Otherwise you would be charged $7+ for each movie that
comes on TV.

On 31 Aug 2005 22:01:17 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>this was the only thing worthy for me to quote from your post
>although i want to make a correction, older titles should not
>be sold at 50 bucks but rather 5 bucks
>5 bucks should be the price for any pc games with more than
>3 years old

This is kind of irrelevant really. According to you a "true pc
gamer" has already purchased those games 3 years ago for full price,
thus "paying to play" and "rewarding the retail channel", thus there
is absolutely NO NEED to sell old games in stores.

"you are a true supporting pc gamer by always paying to play, and
that is so regardless of the price you pay but buying a pc game at
release has a special meaning, the meaning of you whiling to pay
full price for a pc game showing your appreciation for the developers
hard work in giving us the best possible joyful moments we get from
pc games" - you, in case you've forgotten already

x-no-archive: yes

Johnny Bravo wrote:

> This is kind of irrelevant really. According to you a
> "true pc gamer" has already purchased those games 3 years
> ago for full price, thus "paying to play" and "rewarding
> the retail channel", thus there is absolutely NO NEED to
> sell old games in stores.

now there you have it mr bravo
you will now hear from me yet another innovative
and very daring idea

currently i do recommend pc gamers buying a second
copy of their own favorite pc games
yes you hear me correctly, buy a second copy that
will function as a secure backup copy

so if you have the money you should buy the game at
release and later when a gold edition has a lower
budget price you should buy it also so you can have
two versions and copies of your favorite games
advantages of this solution:
.. having a backup copy
.. having a gold edition already fully patched
.. supporting developers that gave you be best titles
.. supporting not only the market when the titles are
released but also when they are available as classic
budget re-releases

so as you see once again mr bravo i have answers to
the issues and challenges in pc games
i give answers to the problems and you don't!
you and all the rest in this group should thank me
for such innovative ideas

--

> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 05:03:10 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs>
> wrote:
>

>>Actually you and I and the rest of the public do pay, whether we watched
>>their programs or not. TV is for commericals. (excluding HBO/Show and
>>PBS
>>type channels) And everytime someone buys product X, part of the $ goes
>>the companys ad campaign.
>
> But if I do not buy product X, I am not paying for that movie. I
> can't even remember the last time I bought a product due to paid
> advertising. Advertising is an attempt to part me from my money based
> on the say so of those with the product, hardly the most unbiased
> source of information.

I have a DVR (digital video recorder) for my cable box. I rarely watch any
live show, because I dislike the breaks for the commericals. And when I
watch my recorded programs, I skip thru the commericals. Still when I go
to the store, part of the $ that I spend on Doritos, Miller beer, and
twinkies goes to them darn ads on TV, newspapers, magazines, and billboards.

Oh, and while you and I don't buy product X cause of ads, they must be
working on the public. The ads where it makes it seem like if you use
their product then you'll look better, be cooler, and make the babes swoon
all over your.

And sometimes after a Miller 6 pack, I really do believe I'm the handsomest,
smartest, and the biggest babe magnet in the world. ;-)

On 1 Sep 2005 22:38:07 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Johnny Bravo wrote:
>
>> This is kind of irrelevant really. According to you a
>> "true pc gamer" has already purchased those games 3 years
>> ago for full price, thus "paying to play" and "rewarding
>> the retail channel", thus there is absolutely NO NEED to
>> sell old games in stores.
>
>now there you have it mr bravo

So stores shouldn't be selling old games, glad to see you agree just
how stupid your original idea was.

>you will now hear from me yet another innovative
>and very daring idea
>
>currently i do recommend pc gamers buying a second
>copy of their own favorite pc games
>yes you hear me correctly, buy a second copy that
>will function as a secure backup copy

I make my own backup copies without spending $50 for them, thanks.