10 Gb mem bandwith with Opteron

InkSpot

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
Take a look at the gamepc article:
<A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=opteronmemory&page=1" target="_new">http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=opteronmemory&page=1</A>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
When you will see a HPC systemes with DDR 400 send me a email.If you can just find a 8 way or more with DDR 333 cas 3 i will be impresse.

i need to change useur name.

InkSpot

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
What do you mean i wasn't referring to the RAM used, i just think it's cool that you can get such bandwidth with a NUMA enabled operating system and a couple of Opterons...?

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
lol well it doesnt matter if its used, the point being the performance is there. i cant wait to get a full xp 64 bit release and use numa.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Xeon get numa too what is your point altix got more that 200 GB/S.Every cpu on the market can use NUMA.XP64 dont support numa.Win 2003 does support numa and is not close to release neither it not cheap.

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
um actually windows xp 64 bit does support numa, look at the article, they use xp 64 bit. and my point is just becuase its not supported as of yet doesnt mean its useless, and you cant deny it does help perforamnce and that it would be nice to have access to that power in a cpu that is relitively cheap for server parts. And its great xeon supports it too, the more the merrier, but we are talking aobut opterons here, not the xeons.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
um actually windows xp 64 bit does support numa, look at the article, they use xp 64 bit. and my point is just becuase its not supported as of yet doesnt mean its useless, and you cant deny it does help perforamnce and that it would be nice to have access to that power in a cpu that is relitively cheap for server parts. And its great xeon supports it too, the more the merrier, but we are talking aobut opterons here, not the xeons.

1 dont find anywhere in MS website that windows XP64 bit support numa on AMD64 version.
2 thing even a 486 can use numa so why the big thing with that.
3 NUMA aware code and OS add a big burden and normaly come with a extra price tag even for Linux as only enterprise version will support it.