auzzle

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
Earlier this year I build a new windows 10 machine and used it as a low load NAS / Minecraft Server. For months things were fine. I would get an average transfer speed of 110 mb/s. Recently the speed has gotten worse and I am transferring at an average speed of 11 mb/s. Both computers are wired.
Server Specs:
Ryzen 3 2200g
AsRock B450M-HDV Motherboard
32GB DDR4-3200
WD Green 240GB M.2 (C Drive)
2x WD Red HDD 5400 RPM (Mirrored through Disk Manager in windows 10. This is the network drive.) (NON SMR variant)
I have about 2TB of the 4 TB used so far. I have also run Crystal Disk Mark on the drives. I have the results from When I first built it and the results now.
Before and after is located Here
Could it be that the hard drive is just getting full and becoming slower? I downloaded Western Digitals Data Lifeguard tool and it says the drives are all healthy. Since the computer was build it automatically did disk defragmentation weekly. The disk is not fragmented. I cant even stream my PLEX videos from it anymore because the hard drive cant access the data quick enough.

Solution
It seems some connection is running 100mb. I would check the status on the ethernet ports and see if any are running at 100mbps. This is almost always a bad cable. Cables are very strange they work on some machines but not others.

If you think all the ports are running 1gbit then it is pretty simple to eliminate the network. Run a old line mode programs called IPERF on the 2 machines. You should get 900+mbps in both directions.

USAFRet

Titan
"For months things were fine. I would get an average transfer speed of 110 mb/s. Recently the speed has gotten worse and I am transferring at an average speed of 11 mb/s. "

I would suspect a faulty cable or connection port before a bad drive.

auzzle

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
"For months things were fine. I would get an average transfer speed of 110 mb/s. Recently the speed has gotten worse and I am transferring at an average speed of 11 mb/s. "

I would suspect a faulty cable or connection port before a bad drive.
I just switched SATA cables AND the ports they were plugged into. The problem still persists.

auzzle

Honorable
Jul 2, 2014
Not SATA cables...the network cables.
I have changed ethernet cables and what port they of the router they occupy and no luck. What helped whas plugging the server directly into my PC. The transfer speed went from 10-60 MB/s. However this is not practical for me as I only have one ethernet port on both computers. I was just interested in trying to pinpoint the problem better.

Reactions: SamirD
It seems some connection is running 100mb. I would check the status on the ethernet ports and see if any are running at 100mbps. This is almost always a bad cable. Cables are very strange they work on some machines but not others.

If you think all the ports are running 1gbit then it is pretty simple to eliminate the network. Run a old line mode programs called IPERF on the 2 machines. You should get 900+mbps in both directions.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
What helped whas plugging the server directly into my PC. The transfer speed went from 10-60 MB/s. However this is not practical for me as I only have one ethernet port on both computers. I was just interested in trying to pinpoint the problem better.
This was a good test for sure and shows that something is wrong network-wise. Cables do go bad over time and go from gigabit to 100Mbps. I would check everything to make sure you're getting gigabit links because without that your speeds would drop.