10 Mbps DSL vs 10 Mbps Fibre

alik03008899.k

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
So I have 4 Mbps DSL right now but I wanna upgrade to fibre, but here's the think in Pakistan fibre and DSL have the same price but fibre has more installation fee (150$). I was hoping to get fibre but I wanted to know if there will be a difference between 10mbps DSL and 10mbps fibre also should I pay 150$ or just upgrade to 10 Mbps DSL (I won't have to pay installation for DSL cuz that's what I got RN) , the monthly prices are the same for both and only installation fee is higher for fibre.
Ps: there's at least 3 people using WiFi at the same time RN and 6 at maximum

TL : DR
Is 10mbps DSL and Fibre same , if not is there a 150$ (only once) difference especially when there's like 4 people using
(Also I'm looking for gaming casually on this )

Solution
Fibre should be the better choice longer-term, absolutely. And if your Dad wants to go for it, I wouldn't suggest talking him out of it and favoring DSL :lol:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well, most ISPs advertise speeds "up to X Mbps", without actually guaranteeing you'll get that speed all the time. None of us can really say for certain if one or the other of those options would be better at getting you your advertised speed. But if we assume either one will get you consistently around 10 Mbps down, I don't see any reason to go with fibre.

Edit: Does it cost you anything to upgrade to 10 Mbps DSL? If not, you can always try that out and if it's not performing well you could upgrade to fibre in the future.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
While the quoted speeds may be the same, I'd be very surprised if you didn't see better/more consistent speeds over Fibre.

Fibre is typically:
1. faster/more consistent (download probably more consistent, upload almost certainly faster)
2. more reliable (as no power 'required' to send the signal)
3. can be utilized over greater distances (where available)

DSL is more commonly available, but if directly competing with Fibre in a given market (all else being equal) it doesn't really make sense.

For the kind of speeds you're looking at, either would serve you just fine...... it's going to boil down to the cost.

Without digging into your finances specifically, I'd ask yourself the question "Is $150 disposable income to me?"
If it is, I'd opt for Fibre.

If you could spend $150 better elsewhere, then I'd go the DSL route for now*

*I assume you could switch from DSL to Fibre in future? If so, no hard in trying out DSL initially....

alik03008899.k

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
So this might sound really bad but I'm 14 and I'm getting my dad to get (plz don't bully) and he's more interested in Fibre and I'm pretty sure he's willing to pay 150$ cuz I was tryna convince him to keep DSL but he ain't Listening lol
btw I just checked and its 100$ and it's just one time pay, the monthly subscription is free so I should opt for fiber?

BryanFRitt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
You should consider latency(less better) and upload(more better) speeds too!
I don't know what latency DSL gets, or fiber in your area, but for speedtest my parents fiber got 1ms-2ms latency, and my cable gets roughly 15ms-30ms latency(not as nice latency, but this has higher bandwidth).
1/60 of a second is about (16+2/3)ms

TRENDING THREADS