10 reasons why to build your own computer:

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I wanted to see what you all think when you think about the top ten reasons why someone should build their own computer...

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Word...
like for me its about customization and control...
10. Its fun
9. Learn a lot while researching for the "perfect" build
8. Saves a TON of money
7. Make it look however I want

Few reasons:

1. You get to reuse existing parts. When next I want to upgrade I can still use my case, PSU, drives and soundcard and maybe my video card, RAM, etc. Depending on platform. This saves money.

2. You can OC. Many/most brand PCs will not permit.

3. Boutique PCs are nice alternatives and prolly let you OC but they are pricey. The cheaper major brand PCs have more limitations, as mentioned above. I'd say for an OC, gaming PC it's cheaper to get quality on your own build.

4. You learn how to build and troubleshoot. Keeps you from being at mercy of the god awful geek squads out there.

5. It's fun. I love a new build!

derMeister

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
1. Cheaper
2. Sense of accomplishment
3. Greater control of quality
4. Greater flexibility and customization
5. Greater upgradeability
6. Learning experience

I'll add this

6. For the challenge. For some people the challenge is doing it for the first time. For others it's trying to make a build within a certain budget and getting the most bang for your buck.

I think I agree with the rest so far unless anyone has a better trump card.

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
9. getting an unlocked BIOS
10. More drivers updated more often
11. longer warranty - most parts have 3 yrs
12. because you Can!!!
13. easier to upgrade
14. more power and more drives
15. see # 1 :sleep:

Avoiding "bloatware".

not such a big deal because I tend to NUKE AN PAVE :bounce: a new PC anyways

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
What a pile of crap from alienware. The only reason to buy and get ripped off by them is if you are lazy, technically inept and have money to waste. Not to mention the fun that comes along with building yourself.

narutard

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
We can have too many reasons why it's actually better to make your own pc. I personally would build my own pc but not everybody is in the same situation. Here are my 10 reasons not to build your own pc.

10. Time spent to learn about computer hardware and software.

9. Time spent to shop around for best deals for single or multiple components.

8. Time spent waiting for new and upcoming technology.

7. Individual warranties.

6. Getting accustomed to personal preference of PC building.

5. Trial and error of building a PC from the ground up.

4. In theory it works, doesn't mean it will.

3. Not practical for general user. Game consoles are.

2. Overclocking only matters to a small handful, the rest do not understand.

1. E-P3niS is a fabrication and is to not be confused with real hardware.

=D

The truth is if you can't spend more then $500 on a computer do not build your own, OEMs can get you a decent $500 computer with the OS pre-installed for you.

Buy a X-BOX360 or PS3 if you want to play games on a budget. If you have $1000+ then build your own computer, otherwise its really not practical.

But, if you are a slickdeals junkie more power to you! =D

MadCow809

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
only two reason.

more bang for the buck, extract the most out of your budget.

and it feels good beacuse you built the pc yourself.

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
I'm all for building my own, and haven't bought one since my very first PC.

I think the biggest con is the rate of failure on components. I've learned to live with it, but I've not known anyone to get a manufactured system that was DOA. My last build went good, but my Seagate drive died during the migration from previous build.

The biggest reason for me is the option to upgrade. Nothing like getting a PC that touts RAID, and then learning after you buy it that you can do RAID 1 only becuase of D***'s locked bios.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

I agree with your reasons. those are probably the same ones I would have put down

Another reason to buy prebuilt, is if you have extremely limited space; no room in which to build and test, and save packing material for inevitable RMA. I last bought a system when I was in a little 1 br. apartment.
Then you need to find a boutique vendor who will build and test what you want, although beware the cheap PSU.

tomasf

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
because its yours. and you can do whatever you want change any piece without worrying about the seal in the case and void your warranty. and you know exactly how it works and how to make work

I agree with gwolfman, and add:

1a. maximize bang for buck, at any price
2a/6a. utter confidence to repair / upgrade in future
3a. attention to detail.
4a. personalized "value-weighting," e.g. CPU vs. GPU, case vs. HDD, etc...

jtnstnt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
U can also show off to your friends that you got a better computer than them and u built it yourself. Building your own computer does not get rid of any warranties when you upgrade.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I wanted to see what you all think when you think about the top ten reasons why someone should build their own computer...

1. Chicks dig a guy that can build his own computer. MIRITE? :lol:

Anyways, I'd say:

1. It's exactly what you want and need
2. Satisfaction for knowing you built a bitchen machine
3. Intimate knowledge of the system, easing repairs and reducing out of pocket expense.
4. Bragging rights.
5. The learning / troubleshooting experience from building. There is no better way to learn than to do. :)

*edit*
Oh, yeah! Showing that dude that bought a $3k Alienware that your $1k system completely stomps his... priceless.

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
Its not really cheaper to build a low end system, and sure not worth the pain. But for a decent gaming rig its way cheaper. for ex you can build for about 800-900 what would cost 1100-1500 built. Hardware assembly goes pretty fast but I hate the RMA's and the software issues. You can hardly get XP prebuilt anymore anyway so that's another reason. And vista is a bloated downgrade.