Question 100% CPU usage for no apparent reason

audioh

Commendable
Mar 10, 2018
Hello,

On my i7 4770K Windows 7 with 8 RAM, very recently I have been experiencing on the task manager 100% CPU usage.
So far I've tried:
  1. Restarting
  2. Ending any possible task that might consume
  3. Running a full and thorough viruses/malwares scan
I'm out of ideas. Please help me.

I should note that about half a year ago my GPU was removed due to malfunction, however the constant 100% CPU usage only began days ago.

audioh

Commendable
Mar 10, 2018
OK, u invoked task manager, then u stopped. WHAT TASK(S) does Task Manager tells you is using up CPU. Care to share? can't mind melt with you over the Internet, yet.
chrome when it's open (I've tried ending it entirely) only consumes about 150k memory. Other than that - nothing at all

audioh

Commendable
Mar 10, 2018
What process is using your CPU usage? Not memory.
What is your full system spec including PSU make and model?
When are you experiencing 100% CPU usage?
Hello Tailor,

I've just found out this is occurring as soon as I start a video game. The issue is, for months the usage would not jump to 100% instantly. It only started a few days ago.

audioh

Commendable
Mar 10, 2018
Go into Resource Monitor and check what processes are using your CPU usage.
Have you also checked CPU core temperatures?
explorer, svchost.
How do I check those?

I forgot to mention: upon starting the game and the rise to 100% CPU usage, even after I quit the game the usage is still 100% until I restart the computer.

Explorer and Svchost at 100% sounds like a stuck update or corruption. Firstly, open Windows Update and make sure all updates are complete. This includes clicking check for updates when it says 'up to date'. To check for corruption, click start and search for CMD. Right click command prompt and choose run as administrator. Now, type "sfc /scannow" (without ") and hit enter. It will take a long time.

Also, you say you did a virus scan? Did you use Malwarebytes (it's free)? Malwarebytes is the antivirus I always recommends as it finds much malware that others miss (such as some guy recently here who had done a full scan with Avast and found nothing, then found 250 PUPs with Malwarebytes). Lastly, have you installed the newest chipset drivers from you motherboard's download page?