Question 100% CPU usage when playing games?

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
Hi, I have an i5 7400 and a gtx 1060 3gb with 16gb of corsair vengence ram, when ever I play games I monitor it using Msi Afterburner and it shows that all of my four cores are at 100% each. My Gpu is working around 70-90% depending on what game I am playing with high settings enabled. When I tested Rainbow six siege and Destiny 2 their is nothing wrong really with the fps but at 100% it can cause input lag and stutters. Is there a way to fix this from being at 100% or even cap the usage.? I have tried to edit the power plan and set the value to 98 but it still did not work. Can anyone help?

You can count on an I5-7400 to stay pretty much at 100% busy in any modern game...you have no threads/cores to spare.

Not fixable by clicking on anything, you can only minimize it's impact by maximizing quality/detail as high as is reasonable for your GPU. (which for only a 3 GB 1060 will not be all all that very high on 1080P, try high, very high, and see if frame rate is acceptable...

Reactions: Kamal007v

Kamal007v

Honorable
Nov 15, 2014
No. ROE is not very well optimized to balance between both cpu and gpu. Pairing your i5 7400 with a gtx 1070 would be a bottleneck my friend has the exact combo and always has his cpu 99% but gpu sitting around at 50-60%. GTX 1060 with a 7400 is fine. Your cpu is doing what it is capable of. Only way you can lower the cpu usage while gaming is by upgrading to an i7 or a Ryzen equivalent.

I have tried to edit the power plan and set the value to 98 but it still did not work. Can anyone help?
This just makes 98% the new 100% it does not leave anything free.
Battle Encoder Shirasé is a tool which could help restrict the games to less than 100% but it does not work with all games.
You could also use nvidia's dynamic super resolution to slow down your GPU which will in turn also slow down the work your CPU has to do so you will have less usage but also less FPS.