Question 100%CPU while gaming even after windows reinstallation and SSD wipe

Sep 23, 2020
Hello. I have been getting very frustrated about my CPU during gaming. I usually play valorant and my cpu usage will just rocket to 100% every time. Which causes my fps to fluctuate a lot while peaking at around 150. Given my specs, I dont think this should be the performance I deserve. I suspect theres some kind of cpu mining activity going on so I tried reinstalling windows ( wiped every thing by using the windows10 restore option ). Still getting 100% cpu usage. So then I wiped my ssd, tried booting with my hard drive disconnected etc. All did not work.

While gaming, my cpu is at around 75-80 degrees so I dont think it is caused by overheating either. I do not have much experience in PC stuff and most solutions online did not work. Changing energy preference. ... stuff like that.

My PC was not like this until recent months. Not sure what happened. Can anyone help?
Specs:
I7-9700k
RTX 2080
32GB ram

Sep 23, 2020
With no other programs running what is the usage at Windows desktop? Ideally once Windows has finished loading it should be under 5%. It seems like you may have other programs hogging cpu resources.
It was at 2%, but the moment I started google chrome it went up to like 40% for once. I just feel like sometimes the cpu usage just goes up lol

Sep 23, 2020
If you only have one Chrome tab open then there seems to be a problem with chrome. If you have lots of chrome tabs open then you are just running too much.
But the thing is I have been gaming while streaming and having chrome opened for a long time, for months. Never had the issue of having lag spikes in game until recently, I noticed the fps during gaming is just really low and far far away from people's benchmark.