100 degrees AMD FX 8350 Crosshair V Formula Z

aidevelopment

Prominent
Jun 13, 2018
Amd FX 8350 BLACK Ed. Over 100 degrees in BIOS. Crosshair V Formula Z.

Today my PC shut off on its own a couple of times. So I went out and bought new paste (Arctic Silver 5) and applied.

To my surprise in the BIOS the CPU temp was reported at 91 degrees and climbing.

I cleaned the paste off, re applied, and installed a bigger cooler. It just kept getting hotter. So I put a spare CPU in (same model) with fresh paste. Now it’s around 110 in the BIOS.

The CPU fan is running at 2900+ RPM (I set it to turbo) but the air it is pushing out is hardly warm. One of the top case fans right near the CPU is pushing cool air right above it. The heatsink doesn’t feel very hot. It’s a bit warm to the touch but nowhere near 100. The CPU itself is barely warm by the time I power off the system and get the cooler off.

Can anyone shed some light on what is going on? I’ve been building PCs since Pentium days but I’m at a loss as what to try next (short of buying a new motherboard).

TLDR:
2 cpus
2 coolers
Fresh paste
Well ventilated
Secure connection
Turbo/max fan

Why > 100 degrees?

Solution
It SEEMS like the numbers you are getting are wrong and it's not really that hot.
Especially since you are seeing this in the BIOS.
I realize this is a stretch....but it is a possibility.....could it be that your BIOS is reading Farenheit instead of Celcius?
It SEEMS like the numbers you are getting are wrong and it's not really that hot.
Especially since you are seeing this in the BIOS.
I realize this is a stretch....but it is a possibility.....could it be that your BIOS is reading Farenheit instead of Celcius?

Solution

aidevelopment

Prominent
Jun 13, 2018
Yeah it seems that way too me as well. I was expecting some hot air and a burned finger from touching the CPU as well (we’re talking hotter than boiling water).

I don’t think it’s a unit misreport as it was fine up until now, and I did boot up windows briefly and immediately got warnings from CAM (my temp monitor app) that my CPU was over temp and the lifetime will be severely shortened.

This was not reported earlier this morning before I applied the new paste, so I’m confident the temperature reading has changed when I applied new paste.

I’m going to try a spare PSU just in case.

aidevelopment

Prominent
Jun 13, 2018
Actually on further review you are correct. I think what happened is that I did not put enough paste on the first time so it ran hot and CAM alerted me. After having it in mid and applying more paste I saw the big numbers and panicked (as we don’t use F scale here).

I’m on Windows desktop at 32 Celsius now. Thanks for pointing this out!